Armour to protect against Sword & Gun simultaneously?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 30

Armour to protect against Sword & Gun simultaneously?
Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Something I've been wondering lately...

Is there any way to combine chainmaille and kevlar to sword and gun proof yourself simultaneously?

I know from first hand experience, however, that swords can cut through kevlar. (And really chintzy maille.)

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

-Slash

Submissions: 25

Every five minutes this thread pops up
Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Try wearing a reinforced concrete block about 7 foot high and about 4 foot thick, which is triple reinforced with steel plate and thin latticed tungsten carbide rods. Probably advisable not to go near any DU rounds, hesh or AP assalt or sniper rifle rounds though.

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:47 pm

Any realistic ideas?

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:34 pm

That's as realistic as you're likely to get. Do a search, this topic has been discussed repeatedly, and I don't feel like beating my head against the brick wall anymore.

I mean no offence, but the fact that no such thing exists should clue you into how ridiculous the idea is.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:58 pm

Well Slash: The answer is really no. you cant combined them to make a fesable armor to protect agiant a gun and sword. Kevlar can stop low power bullets yes, but not the high power or just small and fast ones like a 22 rifle (about 60-40 to stop one of those) and chain maile would only make it worse with shrapnil. even if you weld the maille it not going to hold up to a shot worth a darn. the force would just "pop" the welds and keep on going. Swords are not so esaly thwarted ither. even thik strong chinmaile is not going to stop the straight kenetic force of the impaked and will brake bones and still on ocation cut the maille right in half (B.O.N.) and even more so if it backed by a hard surface. Ceramic armor is a bit stronger but holds the same problems.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:24 pm

Simultaneously? Beware the 40mm hollow-point broadsword! =P

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:42 pm

I like the ceramic idea.
Would there be any way to suspend it away from the body with some form of suspension to absorb bullet impact and deflect sword blows?

Submissions: 88

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:07 pm

What's the interest? In most types of warfare I can think of in modern times, you'll just be against a sword OR a bullet, not both. Unless there's a rifle with a bayonet involved, but what on earth are you doing that you're up against a rifle with a bayonet (or the equivalent)?

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:25 pm

You know, when these threads come up it always worries me. I can't help but wonder what the motivation is. Some where in the back of my head I always wonder and worry that the poster is someone looking to emulate a movie or video game character and go shoot up his school or something. Maybe that seems like an over-reaction, but I think events like Columbine have shown us that it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Combining maille and kevlar cannot be done effectivly or safely. There is no such thing as bullet proof or sword proof. If there was someone would have created it and our military would be wearing it.

Do not attempt it.

If anyone encourages this type of activity that would be extremely irresponsible, and you would be just as much to blame as the person attempting to build and use this type of armor for any harmful or fatel consequences that result.

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:25 pm

kevlar is suposed to be able to stop cuts and some stabs. im not sure if you are going to get any body armor short of steel paltes that will with out a doubt stop a stab.

-matt

Matt Athayde

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:28 pm || Last edited by Former_Gallery_Admin on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:03 am; edited 2 times in total

Kevlar CANNOT stop stabs or slashes. It is NOT made for that purpose, but rather to stop LOWER VELOCITY bullets, and even then it's NOT 100% effective. Kevlar vests are added protection for those who's jobs require them to be in the line of fire and to help save their lives; they are not toys and not meant to be used in the fashion Slash is proposing.

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:34 pm

dupont site
http://www.dupont.com/kevlar/lifeprotection/multiplethreat.html
-matt

Matt Athayde

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Wow, I want two:
Quote:
defends against threats from firearms, commercially manufactured knives and puncture-producing weapons such as ice picks

-SeussSmith

Posted on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:00 am

I stand corrected. Clearly that is new and I didn't know about it. That being said, it does not change the fact that it is highly irresponsible for anyone to consider using it in an application like this, and it is highly irresponsible for anyone to encourage this kind of activity.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:57 am

Well, if that vest were your answer, it has nothing to do with maille. I think those vests work with some sort of "smart" polymer that stays gooey and flexible, but when there is a high impulse, it compresses and hardens in microseconds, which is how it stops bullets and blades. The blades push on it just the same without cutting. At least I think it's that material.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 8. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next