Maille and blood
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 3

Maille and blood
Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I can?t donate blood because of chain maille!!! I went to donate blood today for the blood drive, I went and firs they couldn?t find a vain .Then after they found one I was there for 5 minus then I hade to leave because when i made a fist and the level of blood going out of my arm would drop becasue the muscles in my arm were so strong so i had to move my fingers

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:43 am

Maille helped me! My iron count improved after i started mailing! Laughing I don't understand why you had a problem with moving your fingers though, i've always heard them say to roll the tube thing they put in your hand.

Posted on Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:32 am

Totaly screwed up my heroin adiction Laughing

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:05 am

Lemme tell you about blood donations....

One day they were having a blood drive for soldiers in Iraq, on my base. So, I go there, as I have that "universal donor" type blood (O something...), and I'd rather see more people live through a conflict..

I go there, and its kinda close to closing time, but I figured I could get it anyway, as you'd figure decent volunteers would do whoever would be around (I mean really, they need blood for these people), but as I sign in to donate, some person tells me they're not taking any more people.

Hold on for a d*m/\/ second. Holy $h!t.

Closed?! Seriously, this isn't some job application. There's no limit to the number of people, they've got plenty of supplies. There's no schedule to ship blood out. The volunteers just want to give up and leave because its 1 PM?! So, they stop and possibly let more dying people continue dieing? I have never ever seen a blood drive do this; I have seen them remain open well over 6 hours after closing time because there are people in line. Why does this one have to be special?! Good god!

So, yeah, my case of fiddler crab syndrome (would normally) makes blood extraction easier. The veins on my arm are raised. So, its rather easier to find and use them. Never seen a case where the muscles would hamper such an operation.. Mabye wrong vain? Perhaps a bad routing through your arm? This sounds kinda wierd. At least you tried though, much better than a person simply leaving a person that wanted to donate. That's just wrong.

- Z.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:45 pm

O positive -- universal donor.

AB positive -- universal recipient.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:29 am

actually you have to be negative for the rhesis protein to be the universal donar

Submissions: 30

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:31 pm

Sure, if you're going to be picky. ;>

Being negative on the RH factor means that they can give your blood to newborns and people with compromised immune systems, without having to process it first. However, Konstantin is incorrect, it's O- that is the universal donor.
We went through this recently, when on of my friends' son was born premature and my mother is O- *and* RH-. The vampires call her constantly. :> And the kid is doing well now.

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:47 pm

i thought the Rh protein was bad that it causes problems when a baby is born

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:25 pm

Cravenenterprises wrote:
i thought the Rh protein was bad that it causes problems when a baby is born

RH negitive person giving birth will be given an injection to prevent
the formation of antibodys to positive Rh. These antibodys could result in the killing of the next positive baby or anaphylaxis to the mother, possibly killing both.(even if Dad is Neg, they give the shot incase the dad really isn't the dad. Or has been typed wrong.)

Universal donor is Oneg
Universal recipient AB pos.

negitive rh will react to RH in the blood. POsitive people do not react to the abcense of rh factor.

Try giving blood again, i bet the IV was just real positional.

Chain Armorer, apprentice
Chain Jewelry, professional(I got paid for chain!)
SCA Wilhelmus Pilgramm

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1