Wikibook
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 17

Wikibook
Posted on Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

So... what do people think of collaboratively writing a Wikibook about the Art of Maille?

(For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, Wikipedia has launched several side projects, one of which is Wikibooks, like online textbooks, same principle as Wikipedia, collaboratively written, open source, free to use.)

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:41 am

we discussed writing a book in the fundraising forum..

jon, of TRL has offered to fund it..

we'd sell the book, and profits would go to MAIL.

if i had someone who was serious about collaborating on something like this, i would put in serious time on it.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:08 pm

Fox news said Wikipedia might be shut down because of some prank article written or something. I doubt it will happen, but it's something to consider before starting a large project for the site.

blackeagle13@gmail.com ~ AIM: IWeavemaille13
AudioScrobbler - http://www.last.fm/user/Blackeagle13/

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:16 pm

fox news is a reliable news station...?

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:15 pm

The whole 'prank article' thing is getting blown way out of proportion. Somebody changed some info on the Kennedy assassination information, linking a close friend of the family -- he did it as a joke. Then apparently some people took the information as gospel and it all snowballed out of control. The guy that made the prank resigned. Some people have called into question Wiki's editability (and even they have considered recently the idea of restricting it more), but they've *always* had "problems" of prank edits, especially on hot topics (abortion, etc).

If FOX news is reporting that Wiki might be shut down, it sounds more like one of their "unfair and unbalanced" opinionated news shows, and not general reliable information.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:03 am

There was a recent study done on the reliability of the Wikipedia vs Encyclopedia Britannica, the error rate turned out to be "2.92 mistakes per article for Britannica and 3.86 for Wikipedia."

Read more about it here: http://networks.silicon.com/webwatch/0,39024667,39155109,00.htm

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:30 pm

^^^
thats not to bad rates since your comparing established company with people that are payed to make sure its right to the general public posting articles and the public is less than twice as often wrong.

-matt

Matt Athayde

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:39 pm

That was my thought. And a far cry from needing to be shut down for any reason. I'll have to look at Wikibooks though, might work for something else I have been thinking about.

Submissions: 6

Re: Wikibook
Posted on Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:38 am

CatalystParadox wrote:
So... what do people think of collaboratively writing a Wikibook about the Art of Maille?

(For those of you who are unfamiliar with this, Wikipedia has launched several side projects, one of which is Wikibooks, like online textbooks, same principle as Wikipedia, collaboratively written, open source, free to use.)

I was thinking that Wiki might be a better format to document the various weaves and tutorials. I see two main advantages over the curent set up:

1) allows collaborative editing of existing pages to fix mistakes and add further details based on user feedback;

2) help solve the classification dilemma. Rather than trying to fit the weaves in a rigid and somewhat arbitrary classification system, we could link off related variants.

Just an idea... Don't know if it has merit or what it would take to make it real...

Submissions: 10

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:29 pm

I actually like the book idea, not the wikibook, but the actual book. I'd be very willing to contribute time to that if it pushed through.

_________

Being from the third world, BMR claims the right to speak in the third person.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1