newbie~where to start
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

newbie~where to start
Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Well I'm on to another adventure~ I had taught myself how to wire~wrap because of my love of sterling silver and now I think that I have found yet another addiction.ChainMaille Confused I haven't even started yet but, I know there are going to be many sleepless nights until I have conquered even the most simplest design. Where do I start? Is it better to buy the links rather than cut them myself, probably so ~ I think that my hands would be to tired~ . Any advice? And from what I have seen it looks like the gauge size makes a Big difference in how the piece will lay. I have looked at the different patterns (designs) posted here but, I didn't notice the gauge recommendations for each pattern. Is there a beginners section?

Submissions: 5

Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:26 am

Greetings, and welcome to M.A.I.L. Here you will find a veritable fountain of wisdom. I must say many thanks to those that have answered my questions in the past.

Yes there is a set of articles for those starting out. As for whether to make your own rings or not that really does depend. Seeing as you are also someone who likes sterling (lovely stuff! Very Happy ) I would suggest perhaps buying sterling rings to start. That said though I made sterling rings before I bought any. Even now I'll make most, though if I have to finish something in a hurry I buy, and if the ring size is a pain (ie. 22awg/2.5mmID) I'll buy them too. You probably will end up making rings, it is cheaper. My suggestion is to learn with copper, it's cheap and forgiving. I screwed up some sterling and I've been kicking myself ever since for not working it out with copper first. Rolling Eyes

As for weaves Euro 4-1 and Byzantine are the places to start, and it seems that where most of us have started. For Byzantine might I suggest 18awg/3.5mmID, it made a beautiful necklace, though a bracelet is a better place to start. Welcome to the addiction, and have heaps fof fun!

Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:50 am

Zilla~ thank you for responding so quickly to my plea~ I will take your advice. I must say that tonight shall be bitter sweet as I clip my long nails off once again Crying (very sad) Long nails and shaping metal never work for me. But for the love of Sterling Silver it shall be but a small sacrifice to make Smile

Submissions: 93

Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:46 pm

Hold off on the clipping! Using 2 pair of pliers should require no direct contact between your fingertips and your workpiece, and nails can be really useful for scooping a stubborn ring off a flat surface...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 77

Posted on Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:45 am

We desperately need the site redone for reasons like this thread.

Posted on Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:37 am

Tesserey~ it's unfortunate that this thread offends you apparently you have forgotten what it was like to be new to ChainMaille . It seems that possibly you have grown accustomed to wearing you're armor of metal around you're Heart as well as chains around you're sense of humor..Lighten up and have fun with life~ if that photo is of you~you appear to be to young to have such a dark side. Unless of course you have been reincarnated from the medieval era and still choose to carry such Darkness. Surprised

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:23 am

Aztecsun, friendly advice: watch it. Tess isn't a meanie and doesn't need to be treated that way.

I think Tesserex's meaning is we need a nice comprehensive section of Mailmaking 101 articles for the new chums -- something that really does answer every FAQ and thus painlessly equips new people with the knowledge they need to start well, that we can just automatically point people to regardless of the particular FAQ they ask: coil and cut? -- here; weaves? -- there, et cetera. The Articles section (click above) is kinda-sorta like that, and worth reading for the newbs anyway. The Gallery has everything from shirts to jewelry to weaves to tools for weaving and for winding. Devour!

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 93

Posted on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:27 pm

And Don't forget the Mailler's FAQ.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:29 am

Then of course there's the prototype nubie page:

http://www.beetlehaus.com/mail-nubie-Cynakes-v1b.html

Still needs additional coding work that I'm not up to...

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:57 am

Then, on the other hand, there are members who believe that EVERY new member should be able to ask "the same old questions" and not have the first response be "read the FAQ" or "Use the search option".

aztecsunsilvermoon,

Welcome to M.A.I.L. and to your new addiction.....oops, I mean hobby. Very Happy

Take the time to look through the Articles section and Gallery for information and inspiration but also please feel free to ask any question that you want in order to further your knowledge. Many of us are willing to answer questions even though we may have answered them before before.

Cliff

Posted on Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:23 pm

Konstantin~ how nice of you to come to someone else's defense ~even though one was not need it. I would like to say thank you to everyone for all the helpful advice.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:39 pm

I think Tes may simply be misunderstood in this instance. If you check the thread that?s linked in my sig you?ll see that it has nine (9) pages of content all working toward the goal of having a good one stop shop that we can direct new maillers to that will answer a lot of questions in a very convenient and concise manor. Tesserex put a lot of effort into that project as did quite a few others here ?bouts. We hit a snag when the project progressed to the point where my HTML coding skills were no longer up to the task of moving to the next level. It?s just sat there for several months now with no progress at all. Mostly my fault. I think that is where Tes?s frustration comes from, not from anything singled out in this thread. I believe his comments were more directed to the other staff to try to get that project going again which would actually be helpful a lot of people down the road. Being new to the boards you would not be in a position to know about all that history. So it might seem like a rather gruff response to your introduction. I?m certain no offence was intended.

BTW: I have been remiss in not welcoming you to the board until now. Let me remedy that here. Hail and Welcome! Ask, learn and share what you?ve learned with others! And most of all enjoy your new addiction! (Yes, it really is?) Just remember to stretch early and often and start with smaller projects instead of a shirt so you don?t either get burnt out from not having a finished project after weeks of work, or abandon it as I did my earliest big project when I found a better way to cut my rings part way into it.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 77

Posted on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:15 pm

Yes, welcome. That was not the kind of response I expected. Thanks for defending me guys.

Herr, you hit the nail on the head. What I meant was that this and other threads like it could be painlessly avoided if the first-timer front page were completed. We do need to get that rolling again. The FAQ should definitely be one of the main points on that page, and our main page should have a big bright link to the new page. I think I'll go see where it is, maybe offer up some coding skills.

Submissions: 19

Posted on Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:14 pm

M.A.I.L. is undergoing a transformation. Way back when, there were few people that came to MAIL, so the "how to start" topics were tolerated becasue there was so few. Now that MAIL is getting more popular, these are becoming a nuiscance to some people. (Not me though.) An FAQs page is definitely a good idea. And welcome to maille, your new mental illness... I mean addiction... I mean hobby... Rolling Eyes

http://chainmaillebookproject.ninjatails.com/index.php --Please contribute! Existing members, put this in your signature to increase publicity!

Posted on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:30 am

To Tesserex~ my apologizes~apparently I found criticism where none was intended.Possibly it may be time to take off my coat of armor Sad

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next