Gallery Submissions Being Denied
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 62

Gallery Submissions Being Denied
Posted on Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:37 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Recently we have recieved and Influx of submissions we cannot approve.

Many, Many People are forgetting important information we need to approve Submissions.

Its seems that no one looks at the list in the Gallery for sub's with missing info and some people just dont reply to PM's

Anyway that someone with more Authority can post a Message on the Front Page or in Bold and Big letters in the Submissions area to include EVERYTHING.

The queue is Piling up with sub's recommended for removal, should we just get rid of things after a few weeks of no reply with the need info?

Sorry to bother anyone, or pester you but its quite annoying and I think its dissapointing people whose submissions arent getting approved and they cant figure out why.

Thanks for you Time,
Alex - Gallery Assistant

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 93

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:47 am

The notice is up!

A few things for our new gallery types, though.

1) That list is only for stuff that's missing information. If it's just plain unacceptable, like for content or picture quality, then it should be denied, not put on the list. You'll have the option to send an official message from MAIL to the submitter when you deny it, so they know why. They can always resubmit, so we don't have to keep bad submissions hanging around...

2) If a submission has been put on the list, the comment you leave in you admin section of MyMAIL should contain a note saying it's on the list and the date, not what you don't like about it. That's fine for comments, but if you've already done something about the sub, and another admin sees it, they need to know if anyone has looked at it officially already, and when. This and point 1 are both detailed pretty clearly in the new admins-only section of the Site FAQ.

3) It has generally been our policy that a picture has to be blurry to the point of not containing useful information to be denied for quality. This way we are not requiring our members to be great photographers, or own expensive equipment, to participate in the community. Several of the pictures listed now are indeed fuzzy, but completely recognizable, and so should probably be accepted, rather than denied...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 30

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:49 am

I guess then, this would be my fault. Sorry, guys. To save a little time, I'll just paste what I sent to Hocky:

Since there were so many "reccomended to be removed because of XXX" submissions sitting there, it seemed like it takes more than one step to deny a submission; Reccomending and then some sort of seconding. I'm guessing now this is not the case. Whenever I found a submission lacking something, I have added it and the reason to Blaise's post in the Gallery Discussion area. I also recently posted a reminder for everyone to check said thread in Knitting Circle. I have not PMed each submitter individually.

Blaise: About #3, that's rather a subjective decision. There was a submission of a maille 'beanie' that was soo blury, I could barely tell it was made of metal, so that was pretty obvious. Others were, in my opinion, too blurry to be useful, but others may feel otherwise. Hence, it's subjective.
Being easy on submitters is fine, but having your subject in focus requires neither expensive equipment nor special skills. It's basic to photography, so when the background is in focus and the subject isn't, that's lack of care, not equipment or talent. Perhaps I'm just more stringent becuase I have taken photography classes...*shrug*

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:22 pm

LOL, I suspect that might be the case! I'm a high priced computer consultant, and can't take a picture to save my life. Have you seen the quality of *my* submissions?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:40 pm

Thanks Blaise.
BTW i Still cant find that Admin FAQ. Am I jsut stupid?

Is it an extra section in the FAQ you've been working on?If so I cant see it.

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:07 am

Go to the front page, then "About Us" at the top, and then the "Mailler's FAQ" link. There's the admin section.

Also, I noticed a note from one of you, CyberKender I believe, about a gallery sub saying "weave not mentioned" when a quarter second glance easily reveals it to be euro 4-1. I think in those cases you can just add it in yourself and approve it.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:11 am

Blaise: Yes, I have. Yours are definitely better than the ones I listed as blurry. :>

Tesserex: I remember that one. I went back and forth on it for awhile. Razoxanne's instructrions didn't mention us editing them, and did say list them in the thread if one of the qualities was missing.
Not trying to make an excuse. I'm fine with doing obvious edits if that's approved prcedure. :>

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Posted on Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:16 pm

I did a bit of cleaning.
Got rid of submissions we've been waiting for for over a month. and sent them PM's

Sent PM's for almost all the missing Info submisssions and pointed them all to the Gallery Requirements Post by Raz.

I hope to recieve messages back form sk8erpanda8 and neonpinkgrassman because they have 3 or more missing info Subs which is taking up a lot of room and is really annoying me. Rolling Eyes

Otherwise, Blaise was it too rash Turning Down submissions, even though i sent them the generated message. (it goes to Email right?)

Hope the gallery load seems a bit lighter now!

~Alex

Posted on Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:01 am

Not at all. After two public announcements, if people can't be bothered to update their stuff, it obviously doesn't matter very much to them. Just remember to remove them from the list once the subs are scragged...

— George Bernard Shaw

Posted on Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:31 am

Sad ack i need to do that then....
sorry I didnt think about that this afternoon guys...

Submissions: 27

Posted on Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:57 am

Hey guys,

Sorry, I did mean to mention that if you can obviously tell what the weave is, then add it in yourself.
If that's the only thing missing, then edit and approve.
If other things are missing, edit, add to list, make note that you added to list and date, and wait for more details.

I'm due home Friday evening, but working Saturday and Sunday... whoo boy.. we got a new Point Of Sale system JUST before I left, and it was having HUGE problems, so I never got to learn it - my brain is going to be fried this weekend!

Been having a great time in NZ, visiting family and friends and seeing the sights. All good fun, I just wish I were richer, and that I had more time here!

See ya all soon,

Raz

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1