Maille Classes
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Maille Classes
Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:24 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am new to maille and find it difficult to learn by text and pictures. Can someone tell me how to find an instructor in my area? I am in Tulsa, OK.

BeadCatz

Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:19 pm

I dont really know how you can find an instructor. Post a want add or something Razz. The best thing I can recommend is just keep practicing with what you have available right now. Trust me, it will become easier.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:25 pm

I dont know if it helps, but I had a hard time using tutorials that had photographs. Sometimes the pictures didnt catch a good angle on the piece so it was confusing. I stuck with the tutorials with computer-generated images and seemed to succeed fairly well. Mainly because you can use different colors easily and there's no need to worry about surfaces, lighting, or other things getting in the way.

The old adage definitely applies though. "Practice makes perfect."

If one weave seems a little difficult, put it down and do another one. Come back after you've succeeded at something. This way you dont discourage yourself too much by one weave or another.

"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"
-Edgar Allen Poe, 1827

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Have you contacted your local chapter of the SCA? Everybody in the organization recognizes what chain maille is, and most can at least do euro 4-1... and many can at least point you in the right direction to do other stuff. It might be worth the time to check them out.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:17 am

I personally like the rendered instructions better, as the pictured ones tend to be blurry and difficult to follow. One of the best places for instructions is http://derakon.chainmailstore.com/ and of course there is lots of different ones on here as well. Just try the simple ones first, like an E4-1, and don't try to use really small rings just yet. That will make learning even harder than it should be. The main thing is to be patient and try to get the weave right, before trying to get faster.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:15 pm

You would have been in lcuk if Kim was still making his rounds...

Posted on Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:07 am

Bead, we can be much more helpful if you detail what you're doing right up to the point where it goes kaflooey. Then we can offer specific fixes.

I like to build E4-1 by starting with a chain of alternating double and single links: 2 links 1 link 2 links 1 link 2-1-2-1 and so on, ending with 2 links. Absolutely nothing to that part. What you have when your chain is long enough for one side of whatever it is you're making (works best if it's at least a foot long, as it's more stable and the links don't flop around) is a whole chain made of mail fivelets -- each of those single links each have four other links going through them. Lay the chain out in front of you so the doubled links point upwards toward your chest and the single links point up and away from you towards the opposite wall. This link-lie makes it easier to weave links into the fabric. It's also essential for a slightly more advanced method I'll get into once we've gotten through a more fundamental one.

Now you can hook an opened link through the nearer of the double links at the left end of the chain and the nearer of the next double link to its right. And you can continue, from right to left, down the chain until you finish at the right end. Now this entire length of mail is 2 links 2 links 2-2-2-2-2-...2. Now the nearer edge of this mail that used to have its links pointing up at your chest has the links grounded on the table top.

Once again, take opened links and hook them through each pair of those nearer links presented, except at the very left end of the mail strip, where you're going to add one more link to that very end. This will allow you to make a rectangle of mail rather than a triangle shape (That is, the same number of links in every other column of links. You'll have half the columns of one number of links, and half the columns of a number that is one greater.) You'll end up with a mail strip of 3 links 2 links 3 links 2 links 3-2-3-2...3.

I speak of "columns" because what you're working on left to right (or right to left if you're lefthanded -- more convenient to do it according to your handedness) rides on your body up and down, if it's a shirt you're making. Shirts and other armor are pretty much all I do with mail. The other way from columns is "rows." This is along mail's resilient direction.

Keep on going like this, and for the next lesson, I'll go through how to add the links on two links (and two link-columns) at a time.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:45 am

i think i have to agree with digi-dog
CGI is so much easyer to follow but that could be down to personal prefeance

if i am the chief of sinners am i not also the chief of sufferes

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1