helping kids learn
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I know that I am prety new to this forum, but some of you know me from The Ring Lord. I am trying to get enough rings and pliers together to teach an after school class for the kids at the local junior high. there are about 15 kids that are interested, but the school does not have the money to get anything. I am not even getting paid. I want to get some 16 ga (swg) 5/16id rings for each kid, as well as some pliers. the class would run 6 weeks, one day a week. and I want to teach a weave a week, and have some rings for them to practice on at home in the interum. if anyone is willing to help, please send the rings(or coils, they are cheaper, and will be fine) to me at P.O.Box 5141 Eureka Ca. 95502, care of KnightsweaR. the class is suposed to start near the end of January, or the beginig of Febuary. thanks in advance. I would never ask for myself, but the kids want to learn.

Submissions: 6

That sounds like a sweet deal! Ya know, If I had the wire to spare... I would send you lots and lots... But I don't... I'm sorry! You could maybe charge the kids about $5 to $10 for the entire class to help pay for supplies. Ya know? Or even more.. You could charge them per lesson.. Or what not. It all works. Just a thought!

-Tyler

Submissions: 15

Any luck getting those pliers?

thousands of rings, sure chance of slip 'n jab, what are we watin' for?

what your doing is great! i wish they offered something like that at the high school i go to.if i could offer anything i would but im broke myself. so instead i'll wish you luck. i've tried to teach my 10 yr old cousin. they catch on fast when they get the hang of it. Smile good luck!

that's a good idea, I have just done so. thanks, I wouldn't have thought of it.

Submissions: 15

i suggest that you write or e-Mail mastercraft or another tool maker. just pitch it to them as "an interactive learning activity". as i posted before, i'm going to try and teach too, wire is cheap ($1 per person covers it) but the pliers are a problem. they may ask you to write up that this is a 'MASTERCRAFT sponsored activity'

good luck!!

thousands of rings, sure chance of slip 'n jab, what are we watin' for?

saome one out there has sent me(without a name or return address)4 pair of pliers for the kids.they were in my P.O. Box today, and it was a great supprize. thank you. I only need 24 more pair for every student to recieve 2 pair to keep and learn with. thanks to everyone who is helping, or would like to help, and can't for some reason. I think the desire to do something is admirable too.

I have an update. Jon (of TRL) has said that anyone who wants to donate to this can order 18 ga, 1/4"ID al. coils from him to go into the shipment to the school for only $3.00 lb. If you want to donate that would be a great(and cheep) way. if you want to send something direct, please send 18ga(swg)1/4"id aluminum. thanks a bunch, the kids are jazzed. also, I have made a deal to get some of the pliers(14 pr.) at only $2.00 a pair. I bought them today, so I only need 26 more pr. it's a start anyway. thanks again

If this works out well, I am going to try and get the school board to fund a second set of classes. they said they need to see results befor they can back it as a school program. uh, how do you get results BEFOR you get the funding to try? the school board is made up of a bunch of polititions(sp) and idiots. thank you all for your support though, we need it.

Submissions: 11

No offense to the Ontario residents; but what a stupid requirement for HS graduation. I suppose it's meant to give people an introduction to volunteer work, in the hopes that they'll continue it after they've finished school and such .. but it sounds like 'community service' to me; as in what they give to people convicted of petty crimes. Though, I suppose the differences between petty thugs and most high school students is purely academic... Wink

Submissions: 11

Just a thought on the pliers; but do they have a shop in the school? If not, I know there's borrowing that goes on of equipment between the junior high and highschool in my area, you might want to check into the same.

Submissions: 10

When I have tought children, I have always used rings you could bend with your fingers. That really may not be your ultimate goal, but for teaching, it gets them in a position to work it out.

Outside of that, you may be able to hit up hardware stores, Wal-marts, etc for donated pliers.

Submissions: 7

This sounds like a great idea, and I don't want to put a damper on it, but do you think you'll need parental permission forms, what with tools and sharp pointy bits of metal... Sad

(accidental alliteration)

Yes, and the forms have allready been sent home with all of the interested students. but thanks for your concern. now I just need the supplies and it will be golden.

I think it's a great idea! If it's a success, perhaps we could start similar programs in other schools. I'm in high school, and myself and two of my friends, and also my younger sister, all want to make chain maille; so it's certainly in demand. Feel free to come to my school too Smile if you're ever in the Baltimore, MD area.

-Bernard

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next