book?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Fund Raising

Submissions: 79

book?
Posted on Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

my sister suggested that i write a book after i emailled tim mccreight last night. it's not something i'd want to do myself, i'd want some help, although i'd be willing to write a fair amount of it.

we could put the profits into the site, and if we amass enough money perhaps hold a contest and send someone to metalworking college.. i certainly don't want any profits from it.

anyway, if we had an outline and a list of people dedicated to the project, we might be able to propose it to a company like brynmorgan (tim mccreights' publishing company) and get an idea of whether or not there'd be interest in this sort of thing.

granted, we give the information away here, but there are places like libraries and schools that might use them.. as well as people who buy stuff from tims' publishing company out of principle (if he's interested.)

another company possibility would be "lark books" out of north carolina.

if there's any interest in this we could develop an outline and overview of what we'd want to cover. this could solve our annual finiancial issues if it pans out.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:00 pm

I'd be happy to help out. I'd also be for donating the profits to MAIL, or whatever else pops up (but I'd prefer it go to MAIL).

Submissions: 16

Posted on Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:11 pm

I would be interested in doing some writing for it or something, i use to be good at writing, granted my spelling and grammer is not the greatest.

aslong as i got a copy of the finshed book i would not want any of the profit.

anyway let me know what happens
Darren

Posted on Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:36 pm

hmm, i hadn't thought of how many we'd sell to MAIL members. i'd certainly want one, even if just as a trophy book.

kim

Posted on Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:50 pm

Out of curiosity... how would we handle using information from the site? Would we have to get written permission from the people? Or is that taken care of with the whole submission-stuff?

Either way, come to think of it, I would almost insist that all profits go to MAIL, otherwise it means some few people get to profit from the work of others. Granted, people who work on the book would be putting in 'free time' then, but the ground gets sticky way too quickly when paying out compensation...

Submissions: 93

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:23 am

We could sell them on the cafepress site. They do a book thing...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:59 am

I think it is an excellent idea. I would certainly want one.

As for stuff to cover, I think that we would need a brief intro on what maille is, then a chapter on the history of maille, telling how it was developed, made, use etc.

A section on tools, what you will need, an explanation of AR, wire and ID selection, etc.

Have a section on maille armor, pointers on making it, with cool example pics (we've got tons in our gallery).

A section on jewelry, agian some general guidelines, suggested weaves, pics of some excellent jewelry etc.

Then have a few chapters on weaves. We can't cover all the ones in our library, but at least a handful of the most useful ones that have tutorials for them.

A section on riveted/welded maille would be nice too.

Finally, we could have a chapter with all the crazy and amazing projects made by maillers. Like the chess set, the house, buddha's micro shirt (do we need a chapter on micro?) , stuff like that. Just for inspiration to get people to try new and creative projects.

Just a rough sketch. Would be a lot of work. I think there is very little actual writing to do, as we have TONS of material in our articles, it would be alot of going through them, taking the information needed, and "weaving" it all together to make a coherent book.

Vlad

"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"
Psalm 14:1

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Sir Arthur Keith

"You might be a liberal if you don't trust honest Americans with automatic weapons, but you do trust the government with them."

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."
Stalin

Some of my items are for sale on www.maillemarket.com , thank you.

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:10 am

my solution to getting around the submissions is to make new articles.

for example: i might write an article on basketry (or use my current one..) i submit this to the group (book council.. whatever) and then the group has brainstorming ideas on ways to make it better. more understandable to a newbie. whatnot.

if there was a topic that the person who wrote an article didn't volunteer for the book.. just write a new one. this allows us to not worry about who owns what. maille information is not propriatary, it is public domain. that's the point of MAIL. or at least that's how i feel.

book media is different than internet media. we should focus on layout more, and presentation. what is on this page, what is on that page.

we might need to find a cgi artist to do renderings for us.. (volunteer)..

to put is simply, i'm suggesting that we re-write the crucial MAIL articles. cut out most of the fluff sentences, and keep it down to what is necessary.. with a little humor, of course.. but definitely go over things with a scalpel.

as to cafe-press. that is a good idea, however i would like to present it to established, popular craft publishers first. some people buy things from specific publishers. after seeing "great wire jewelry" i was in asheville and went to their distributor warehouse and searched through all of the books they published for applicable topics. bought 2, and they gave me a related reject book free. (color inconsistancy on the cover was the only defect.)

i don't think cafepress has that sort of reputation, but it wouldn't be bad as a last resort sort of thing. all options are worth considering.

i mean.. tim mccreight has been here before.. i, personally, think we'd have a shot with brynmorgan. and if not there, then lark books produces craft books also. and if not them, i'll bet there's 5 more companies to try.

i'll try to put together an outline of what i think should be included in such a book this evening.

kim

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:00 am

chainmaille, what is it?

brief history (euro and japanese)

winding springs, hand winding and drill winding.
mention wire other than roundwire.

cutting rings.. cover tools and such.

short talks on welding, riveting and soldering rings.

constructing weaves (choose 10 or 20 of the most attractive, simpler weaves, have cgi tutorials)
here hit AR

patterns (include a shirt [armor], a coif, maybe one other thing i'd keep this area small.)

have a chapter containing just cool maille images to show what is possible. a bottle, wallet, a basket, the x nihils' furniture. mostly stress individual creativity with the weaves.)

discuss how different metals act

discuss stretching and RSI

-=================

if we have photographs the price of the book would liekly go up 5$ a copy.. that's just a guess, but photos are a lot more expensive than simpler images. something to consider if we could have a person who was able to draw maille stuff.

my .02

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:44 pm

First, let me just say that this is a great idea.

As to look and feel:

Are you familiar with John Muir's book "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot"? (BTW: That is the correct incorrect spelling of the title. Wink )

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1566913101/104-6848685-4787961?v=glance

I love the look and feel of this book! If we could do something similar we could have a real hit on our hands. I'd buy at least one copy. (I have two of the VW book...)

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:13 pm

check out this if you haven't already. lark is maybe into info from us.. but we'd have to decide if we wanted to write our own book or submit to theirs. or do both.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=4190

kim

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:42 pm

Wow, that's pretty cool. It sounds like they're geared toward jewelry design, while a book from MAIL should include armor, sculpture, etc.

Maybe we can get an idea of scope on what Lark has in mind and then check out what else we can throw into the mix w/ our own...?

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:56 pm

i emailled the fellow. i told hir (him/her) that my images were public domain and they could use them freely..

i'm interested in assisting them on a personal level, whether or not i write anything for them.

i agree that a more complete book is in order, but we could assist with a couple how-tos for specific pieces of jewelry.. and in a maille book we write we could cover more theory and less step by steps that end up with a generic product.. cool product, but everyone'd end up with about the same thing in a step by step.

if this book does well it will prime the market for one we'd write.

kim

Submissions: 72

Posted on Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:09 pm

Well, if permission is needed from anyone to use their pics and stuff, you have mine.

I certainly didn't start making maille to become rich. Smile

Peace.

Mical. Coif Smiley

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:52 pm

If there is anything I can do, let me know. I would love to help out. One thing I would include in the ring cutting area are close ups of the different types of cuts you get from different cutters.

I will try to do some brainstorming on what I would like to see in the book over the next couple of days.

Devon

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 4. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next