no
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 14

Submissions: 11

Beard or no beard?
Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:46 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello everyone. I recently started experimenting with facial hair. More precisicly I have grown sideburns, and plan to go to a beard in a few months. I havn't really got too many comments about it, but some of my friends are saying I better shave because girls hate facial hair. I was wondering what you guys think? I'm still just gonna pretty much do what I feel like, who cares what others say.

I would like the ladies to vote in the poll, but guys your comments are appreciated.

Vlad

Edit: it wont let me add another poll option for some reason, but it was [Depends on person/style of beard. (explain below)]. If thats what you were going to vote on please post.

"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"
Psalm 14:1

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Sir Arthur Keith

"You might be a liberal if you don't trust honest Americans with automatic weapons, but you do trust the government with them."

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."
Stalin

Some of my items are for sale on www.maillemarket.com , thank you.

Submissions: 62

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:52 am

On you. NO
and i think after watching Queer Eye for the straight guy every week they would definitly say no.

it might fly if you werent in california or a suburban place

now experminenting with goatees or soul patches are something you might wanna think about. i jsut dont think beards look very good on teens..

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:16 am

Goatees and soul patches are beards.

Thats what I had in mind, not a full beard, at least not for a while.

Vlad

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Sir Arthur Keith

"You might be a liberal if you don't trust honest Americans with automatic weapons, but you do trust the government with them."

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."
Stalin

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:35 am

Vlad, I'm as happy as you are that you're hairing out and visibly growing to man's estate -- but you are still at the awkward age for facial hair and you might want to cultivate patience for a few years' time in order to sprout a beard to full manly effect. You do have a head start; your beard's coming in early. On most males, it doesn't really come into its own until about age 22, give or take two years.

Really young guys' beards are downy and fluffy li'l things that still proclaim both great youth and great callowness, despite the wearers' fond hope that they look more mature wearing a beard. It doesn't work that way just at that time, alas -- such beards tend to put one in mind of baby chicks or puppies.

But oh what a difference a couple-few years makes! The beard hair thickens, growing sturdier and less fluffy. Then you've got the effect you were looking for!

The other problem with the awkward age for facial hair is that often it's too thin. Through college I had a thin sandy mustache. Sure, I was attached to it -- but it ain't a patch on the 'stache I can raise now. My mustache hairs now run naturally to about a two-inch length before their follicles take a break and shed the hairs, and I wax the ends into a graceful curve. But there are a lot of kids out there getting snickered at behind their backs for their Yasser Arafat, um, growths. Wait for your forest to get thick enough. Mine progressed in an orderly fashion, starting at the sideburns and year by year slowly progressing down my jaw and throat until finally meeting in my second year of college.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 72

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:08 am

My beard started from my chin and sideburns, and then went down to cover my whole throat. Slowly, it filled in along the jaw line, and now my upper cheeks are filling in.

One of these days, I'm going to stop shaving. I've heard that girls don't like beards, but girls don't like me anyway, so nothing will change. Smile

Peace.

Mical. Coif Smiley

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:45 pm

i don't know, my wife loves my goatee. i shaved it off a couple weeks ago and she missed it before the day was through. but i would suggest, if you don't have alot of facial hair, to wait till you do. i would grow a full beard right now but due to teen acne, i have scar tissue that won't let hair grow on my checks, looks really wierd when i try to get the full thing going.

facial hair also makes you look older, when i shave mine off, i ususally drop 4 years Coif LoL

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:01 pm

i can count the number of times i've shaved on my fingers.

i think god made us grow hair for a reason and shaving is sort of like selling your soul. my unruly beard has not influenced my female participation.. although i was told by this gorgeous girl once, "you should trim your beard. i mean, you're hot now, but if you trimmed... *sizzle noises*".

we still danced in the river at 3am in our underwear.

if a girl don't like you cause of how you look then she isn't worth your time anyway. she'll want you to buy her a bunch of stuff and is probably a moneyhungry gold digger, and they are no better than common prostitutes. or at least that's what john steinbeck insinuated in "the wayward bus".

in summation: let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:34 pm

Quote:
But oh what a difference a couple-few years makes! The beard hair thickens, growing sturdier and less fluffy. Then you've got the effect you were looking for!
snipWait for your forest to get thick enough

Thats what I plan to do. I'm not gonna grow any part that is not yet thick enough until it gets there. My sideburns are not the fluffy stuff your talking about. Every few days I look at it, its getting darker and denser. Over vacation or something I wont shave a few weeks, and if there are any areas thick enough, I'll keep those.

Vlad

Sir Arthur Keith

Stalin

Submissions: 28

Posted on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:42 am

i think its interesting how in the poll, there are 4 votes against beards/goatees/soul patches, yet no women have accually posted saying the reason for no facial hair. just kind of funny.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Submissions: 62

Posted on Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:45 am

ahh never mind then if thats what you mean by beards Go For It

you have your whole life to experiment. take a chance and if a girl doesnt like the look then as Kim said, shes not worth your time

( i can count the # of times ive shaved on my fingers too! 0)

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:32 am

I think it depends on the person, the face, and so on.

But my pet peeve, as a woman, is when a guy doesn't shave, or shave properly. Stubble *hurts*.

My husband looks really old with a full beard, but I do like a goatee on him. His face looks really odd shaved.

(Thought I'd throw in an actual woman's opinion here. Hehe.)

Submissions: 83

Posted on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:56 am

yay for facial hair.

right now I have a goatee that's about.. 3 inches long, It'll be a devil beard before long. My family has a gene that makes the male's get thier beard's really early. I'm 18 now, I had a full beard at this time last year..

If find that on me, some use of facial hair is better looking. If I shave I tend to look about 15.

Stubble can be annoying, but if you shave properly, and frequently, you should be fine.

If you looking for your beard to grow in faster, the more frequently you shave, the quicker/fuller it will grow back. I've learned that you will gain less by letting it grow for a month or 2, then shaving it in the long run.

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:50 pm

facial hair can be nice but full beards only look good if trimmed very neatly just my opinion. I love gotee's (sp)

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:18 pm

I may have told this story before, so please forgive me if I?m repeating myself here.

I haven?t shaved in at least ten years. Maybe closer to fifteen. So I have a rather full beard. I try to keep it trimmed, but it occasionally gets to a point where the right tool for the job would be a pair of hedge clippers. I usually trim it back in the spring and let it grow out for the winter.

Anyway, the beard is just one key element to this story. When it?s really cold ? and last year it reached twenty bellow at my house overnight for two weeks straight and hardly budged during the day ? I wear a reddish brown heavy leather/faux sheep skin coat and a fur hat with flaps all around including longer bits that go over the top when tied back and come down under my chin when it?s really cold. It has a very Russian look to it. I?m also rather large at six foot tall and two hundred and eighty five pounds. And I wear round glasses.

Anyway, I was so attired one fine day last winter on my way back to the car after doing some shopping at the local mall when I passed a young fella of about four or five on his way in with his dad. As we passed between the double sets of doors he looked up in awe, tugged on his fathers sleeve and whispered ?Daddy! Ho Ho!?

I still get a smile whenever I think of that.

That?s the look I?ve achieved with little or no effort. Another thing to consider is that I?m forty-four and this is al least my third major beard. Every once in a while I forget what my chin looks like and get the urge to see it again. Always a mistake. I hate to shave. I am convinced that this whole ?clean shaved? thing is nothing more than a conspiracy of the razor manufacturers to try to force us to buy their products. Not that I?m paranoid or anything?

* looks around nervously to see who might be listening *

Whatever look you go for is all a matter of personal taste (or as in some cases I?ve seen, lack there of Rolling Eyes ). Some people look god in a beard. Others should consider electrolysis! That said, what you do with your own chin is really up to you and your genes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And remember that, except for DNA and electrolysis, what ever you do with your beard can be easily enough changed if you decide you don?t like it.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:53 am

Quote:
facial hair can be nice but full beards only look good if trimmed very neatly just my opinion. I love gotee's (sp)

Yea, same here. But on some people I think full beards look good.

Anyways, another reason I am keeping the sideburns is shaving them is always a pain. I end up cutting one too high up, then have the trim the other to match, then that one is too high, and by the time I'm through I have much shorter 'burns then I'd planned on.

This has happened to me a few times Rolling Eyes Embaressed Rolling Eyes

Now its easy, just run the razor along the jawline and I'm done, dont have to worry about matching lengths.

Vlad

Sir Arthur Keith

Stalin

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next