black galvy
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 4

black galvy
Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:17 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I really need an article/explanation on how to blacken galvy (14ga) as much as possible. It should be step by step and detailed, but it shouldnt require stuff like hydroxilion lysoniloxumoniumal

And include playing with fire if possible

i know if galvy burns it will choke you with poisonous gas

Submissions: 72

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:49 am

Here's what works for me:

Make a 50/50 mix of Hydrogen Peroxide (the cheapest stuff from the store is what I use) and lemon juice, and then put your rings in it. This solution works really quickly, so keep an eye on it. Once the rings are a nice dark grey/black, poor the solution down the drain and rinse the rings with some water, then put them in an old towel and let them dry. They won't be BLACK black when they dry, so what I do is put them back in the jar and add a tiny bit of vegetable oil. Make sure each ring gets a nice coat, then dump them in the rag again and let the oil drain off. You may have to use several rags to make it so the rings aren't slippery any more. And that's it. Be sure to use fresh H2O2 and lemon juice, because it seems the older it is, the crappier it works.

I've also heard that puting the rings in dish soap for a long time works. I havn't tried it myself, so I'm not really sure.

There are other methods for blackening galvy in the articles section. Check it out.

I hope I could help.

Mical. Coif Smiley

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:54 am

this hydrogen peroxide stuff... How much does it cost, and how rare is it? Where could i find it

And how much HP + LJ do i use for how many rings? Just so the top of the liquid is over the rings or something like that?

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:46 am

you can get hp at most stores like kmart, jewel, target ect. it should only cost a couple bucks. as for how much liquid to use, really as much as you want. just enough to cover the rings should be fine.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:57 pm

should i just let it sit or do i shake it?

and should i watch it and how do i know when i should take the rings out?

and i got the *wink wink* Stuff *wink wink*

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:11 pm

i just let mine sit. i'm not sure if shaking it really aides in the process. and time left in the solution is up to you, just check it every 15 mins to make sure that the zinc hasn't come off totally.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Posted on Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:15 am

Yeah, just enough to cover the rings is perfect. You don't need to shake it either.

The H2O2 and Lemon juice solution works so fast you can WATCH the rings darken. It only takes about 5 minutes or so (sometimes less time, sometimes a little more). Just keep an eye on it. With one batch I did, I left them and forgot them for about 20 minutes. When I poured them out, they were just a nasty grey bare steel.

Note: I've seen posts where people talked about galvy ranging in quality depending on who makes it, what it's made for......so people have had different results with the solution. For my wire it worked wonderfully, while others have said it simply stripped the zink right off. Perhaps the galvy I use has a slightly thicker coating of zink, I'm not sure.

What I did in the beginning was take just a few rings and test them. Keep in mind though, with just a few rings, the reaction takes just a little bit longer. It would seem the more rings you do at once, the faster the reaction. I think it's an electrochemical reaction involving the connections between rings, but I'm not sure.

I really hope I could help.

Best of luck to ya.

Peace.

Mical. Coif Smiley

Posted on Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:42 pm

last question....

What color will the rings be when i take them out... Whatever color i want the finished black rings?

Posted on Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:24 pm

In my experience, they come out dark grey. To solve this, I put the rings back into the jar after the solution had been dried off, and put about two table spoons of vegetable oil in with them. I made sure each ring got a nice coat and then poured the oil out and put the rings in a rag to sit. I didn't touch mine and just let them sit there, so they remained slippery for about a week or so until the excess oil had drained off.

So far it's been about 6 months and the rings are still a nice shiny black. They're not slippery either.

I would suggest experimenting with a few extra rings just to find out what works. That's what I did and it worked out.

Peace.

Mical. Coif Smiley

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1