Submissions: 35

Project for NMF2K4?
Posted on Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Any thoughts Blaise?

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:09 pm

I don't know. People didn't seem too gung-ho about it last year, but that's probably because I didn't get a good enough idea posted. Rolling Eyes

I had thought maybe of some kind of inlay/quilt type of thing, something that everyone that comes could make a small piece for. Each year it would grow another 10 or 20 squares, sort of like a metal sign-in book.

We'd have to specify the size of the patches ahead of time, so that people could get started before the event. Sort of like the Alpha project, but on a much smaller scale....

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:25 am

Sounds like a plan. It would be neat if people were to inlay their initials in the square patch, adding one each year. Then it would really be a log book. Er, I mean.. log quilt? Confused Oh! A log-in sheet! Wink

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:33 pm

oh..bad punn...Smile but it sounds like a good idea but instead of doing Inish's how about logo's say if they own ther own compane or somthing like that you'd still know who "siged in"...what would you have it made of..Stainless, Aluminum???? i would vote for aluminum my self aluminum...16g 3/16id its good and tight but still loose enough to flex and it can be anodised to any color (just about) and it look good for inlays..

Don't for get to sign out..the sheet in on the front hanner...

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 83

Posted on Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:13 am

mm...puns...

I'm hoping to be at NMF2K4, I'll gladly paretake in such a going ons Smile

let's spread the word Wink

EDIT: couldn't resist this pun, since were on the subject of quilts..

Please don't pull the wool over my eyes

/EDIT

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Posted on Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:44 am

Ok... now what ring size(s) should be used? So far only 16ga 3/16 has been suggested. Anyone else want to suggest anything? Getting this squared away before the begining of April would leave us all enough time to knit our patches. Needlenose Pliers Cutters Enough time even for Blaise who is the slowest mailler ever, but seems to post more material than most. Razz

Posted on Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:25 pm

Hey, I resemble that remark! Razz

Although I am the slowest mailler ever... Uber

Anyway, why don't we say this:

Just like the Alpha, the innards of the panel are participator-optional, but the outer border must be Euro 4-1, 30 rings wide, and 15 rings tall, in 16SWG 3/16" rings.

Just so we can stitch them all together, the top row must be leaning left. With an off number of rows, this means that the bottom row of the piece will lean left as well, so we will be able to mesh every square together. with a single row of rings...

The inside of the panel could be a patch of your favorite weave, an inlay, a sculpture, whatever.

The size will be pretty small, so it won't be a major effort to complete, but we could bump the size a bit, to, say, 38x19 or 50x25 if people want a challenge...

I'm going to make a border for myself, so I can measure how big it really is.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:36 am

I keep running it over in my head - and that just doesn't appear, mentally anyway, to be a large enough patch.

Posted on Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:41 am

Yeah, it isn't. I'm making one right now. I'm shooting for 4"x4". Looks like it might come in at about 35x19 rings...

— George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:29 pm

Sounds like a great idea! I've got a symbol for my initials that will be great for it.

Do you want to give us a pic of 'standard orientation' when you've gotten it figured out, Blaise? Smile That way, we can avoid any goofs.

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:30 pm

Oh, I forgot to add -- maybe we can bring raw materials for those who make it, but weren't able to build a patch, that way they can still do it at the gathering, if they like?

Posted on Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:35 pm

That's an excellent idea. I'll bring my coiling rig, and we can lug in some cheap copper and galvy...

Now I just need some new pliers. The handles fell off my craftsmans..

More on this in a day or 2...

— George Bernard Shaw

Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:39 am

OK folks, I've got a proposal worked out:

This is a prototype square for a segment of the group project for NMF2K4. The approximate dimensions of the patch will be 4"x4". The rings used must be 16SWG, 3/16"id, any metal.

The outer edge is all that matters, just so as it is 22 rings wide by 12 rings tall, when hung "right-way", as shown. Otherwise, the interior of the patch can be absolutely anything at all. This will be our "log-in sheet", and each year, we'll add another row to it.

Whaddya think?

— George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:47 am

Fine with me, I got mine planned already and set my friend on annodizing the rings.

Misellus

Could you repeat everything after "Listen very carefully"?

Posted on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:53 am

Excellent, I'll be all set (just hope I can make it, hehe).

Hey Misellus, are you going w/ anodized titanium? I'm pondering it, but a little worried about long, long term and was thinking of just going w/ bronze.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next