Articles wanted!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:37 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

extra material added to the outside. Hooking rings under the current rings gives a line of links perpendicular to the fabric and you just build on from there. Very strong connection.

Submissions: 12

Posted on Sat May 31, 2008 5:17 pm

I'll work on a POSTAL mail article and possibly one on packaging. I was & to some extent still am a Paper crafter ie greeting cards, prior to falling in love with making jewelry in general and more recently maille. I have a very simple way to display 'gift sets' like you see in stores all pre-packaged and ready for sale using homemade greeting cards involving 1 sheet of decorative paper and pre-folded half sheet greeting cards & some glue...
Would that be an option...I'll have to do up a demo this weekend and post an example photo...The cards are really easy to make and can be made of virtually anything...and I have a TON of paper that also could go to others as a trade if people really wanted to work on them. Anyway the packaging idea with the cards involves 1 main sheet of decorative paper and that cut up makes 10 DIFFERENT cards...I've used these as 'business cards' in lieu of the smaller ones, and they hold a bit more info also such as caring for the piece (tho I admit I mainly used these cards for my beaded jewelry but since I volunteered to do the article I think I'll make some up for an upcoming show)

As for the "Postal" one. I have been shipping various things to various places for years and as far as the US Postal system goes I have a ton of time and cost saving techniques. Including how to make your own bubble envelopes (depending on size needed). I'm also going to contact a friend on another message board & see if she minds if I borrow her template. She has a 'template' for making your own boxes. Like the cotton filled ones that fetpak and nilecorp sell, that if you wanted to put your own unique spin on packaging you could do those...

Let me know by PM and i'll be happy to get to work on them when its early am and hubby is asleep and the only thing I can do is research & type:D

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat May 31, 2008 10:21 pm

Sounds reasonable. M.A.I.L. does have a few articles about different displays, but any new idea is perfectly welcome in my book. Of course, my book and M.A.I.L.'s book may not read quite the same Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 57

Posted on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:40 pm

I was sure someone else was going to say it but...
I am looking foreward to you going.... I mean your tips on postal gawthfrawg (I am actually realy wondering about this,I shy away from orders that must be posted )

Beginners Chain Tutorial
Posted on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 am

If anybody is interested, I just finished my first 3D chainmaille project. It's a "chainmaille 101" tutorial I thought about submitting it via your upload link but decided to use my own webspace for now. Basically, what I'd like is some feedback on the tut. If you people like it, you can have it. I did it as a self-assigned lesson in 3D graphics. It's posted here:
http://www.geocities.com/ldemrys/Chain_Tutorial/index_chain_tutorial.htm

I've been doing chain since about 1990 (but not so much lately) and thought it would be a cool project.
My html is a little rusty, but I think I got all the links straight. Smile

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:01 am

nice work!, could use some smothing, and better lighting system but still looks good, definatly gets how to weave 4in1 thru. grats, submit that to our atis please.

and since you have the obj files there, i can inport and improve them to more photo realistic?

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:37 am

That looks very good. Most tut's just leave off at the basic ribbon. You have shown some speed weaving with yours, which is always helpful.

Thanks!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:07 am

Excellent! Makes it easy to understand. Well done, and do some more!

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Posted on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:40 pm

MaxumX wrote:
nice work!, could use some smothing, and better lighting system but still looks good, definatly gets how to weave 4in1 thru. grats, submit that to our atis please.

and since you have the obj files there, i can inport and improve them to more photo realistic?

Feel free to use the obj files. That's why I put them there. As for smoothing and lighting, I'm afraid I got lazy and just did screenshots from lightwave and edited in Paint Shop Pro. I was thinking about doing (possibly) some braids and possibly some 6-in-1. I also have some ideas about tools and stuff. The big problem is free time...
If you want/need other objects let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Submissions: 57

Posted on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:43 am

There used to be a long list of tuts, we were looking for, it has been removed, ( I suppose to be updated ) is there an E.T.A. for its return?
I could probably do a couple.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:58 am

Just look up the weaves you know in the database. If they don't have a tutorial, write one. Alternatively, just browse through the database and see what weaves you think you can do. Learn a few and write a tutorial or two Smile

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 74

Posted on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:52 pm

ldemrys wrote:
If you want/need other objects let me know and I'll see what I can do.

thats cool man, just offering my help if you need it.

however, since you say time is an ishu and you want some tool's i have files for all my tools in .obj .max .3ds .dfx and in blender files. if you need them let me know. i have evry thing from sissers to ring machines and then some.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:05 pm

okay, this is an incredibly amazing history article/partial pattern for a norman style hauberk, and i know i certainly couldnt write anything better.

http://www.manningimperial.com/articles/EuropeanHauberkConstruction.pdf

also, if time permits, i'm going to try to write a history article and/or pattern for two historical coif patterns i've seen occurring a lot between about 900ad-1150ad in various contemporary artistic portrayals after i get all my sources in order and actually make one (so i know they work) in both the "standard" coif with both varieties of ventail (vertical and left-to-right) and the other (seemingly more common) variety which consists of a cap over a bent tube.

should be frustrating, painful, slow and torturous, but hell, if that didnt get my goat i wouldnt be doing chainmail

Posted on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:51 am

hey, would an article on a crude, though easily made, and stronger, wire guide?

stronger due to, instead of wire, being made of sheet metal, and thus you wouldn't really need to worry about your wire guide collapsing if the wire you are coiling is too strong. like if you wana coil 0.080 stainless, and that's what your using for the wire guide 9as it is in David_Austin's Advanced Power Winding

though all i got is galvy atm, both for assembly of the unit, and testing of wire, i should have some stainless wire next week, and i might be able to get a hold of some stainless sheet, though it'd be CONSIDERABLY harder to make...

this is, regardless, assuming that it works when i finish and test it tomorrow. really only an hour to make, though that's for me and most people would probably be able to build it alot faster. it's really only 2 air duct bindings folded into shape (one into an L, though the _ of it being angled more like \) and the other bent in half and riveted around said \,
thus making a bar, which would then have 2 mandrel holes in it, with an attacked thicker bar for the wires to pass through.

of course i'll need to see how it works and then modify it, but it's seeming sofar like it should work.

also, if you make a really friggen long one, you could just drill diff sized holes in it in diff parts to fit diff mandrels, and along with that, you dont need to make a new wire guide if you wana use the other mandrel needed with the guide, as you could have two wire holes in it.

would it be helpful, does anyone think?

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:38 am

I can cover everything but the split rings. Jewelry and solder no big deal, but it will take a lot of photos to show all the steeps. I will have to get with my maillen bud's and see if we can nock it all out for you ASAP.

You are only limited by ones self, for trying is never failure. You may have just hit your limitations.
You can tell some one a 1000 times how to do some thing or show them once and they can do it a 1000 times over.

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next