Articles wanted!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:17 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Quote:
I have a suggestion for the riveted section in the articles. Why doesn't someone make an article telling how to prepare different metals for riveting.

I can think of aluminum, brass, bronze, copper, and steel. Explain if they need to be annealed or not and maybe tell how to maintain them.

Personally, I restrict myself to what's historically accurate. Most riveted maille was either iron or mild steel. Now during the roman period there was some copper alloy maille. All of the examples that I'm aware of used extremely tiny rings, may of been the backing for scale. To rivet copper or brass wire rings the process would be identical except that to anneal copper alloy you need to quench quickly rather than allow the rings to air cool.

Titus Licinus Neuraleanus
Bonum rex esse est

Submissions: 10

Posted on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:35 am

I haven't found anything regarding it.. but maybe I just didn't look close enough. Micromail? I'd love to see more about it

life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to Dance in the rain

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:43 pm

I have a tutorial that I have written for the Staggered Corduroy Row with Japanese Overlay, with the addition of fiber optic beads or crystals. It has been published in the Bead Inspired Canada on line Ezine, would it be acceptable to also have it available here? I have the pdf with step by step photos, it would fall under the jewelry category. Let me know and I can submit it for your review and/or approval. Thanks:O)

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:58 pm

That's a tutorial I've actually been meaning to write. I'm not the articles admin, but I would encourage you to submit it. Just make sure each image is under 100 kb. You can't submit it in PDF format, but the submission form is very easy to use and the instructions are easy to understand and very clear. You could submit it under either Patterns: Ornamental or the Jewelry: Beadwork with Chainmaille.

Posted on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:47 pm

I submitted my how to for the staggered corduroy row weave with japanese overlay, and with the beads , so do I get confirmation if the information has been accepted?

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:56 am

No, it will just magicaly appear on the home page under *new articles* one day. The articles editor is swamped with his real job right now and there are a slew of new articles waiting for approval. I'll see if anyone wants to step up to the plate and fill in for a bit.

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:03 am

thanks so much for that quick reply, I will check back to see if the majic includes my submission. :O)

Submissions: 77

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:09 am

I just took care of it. Unfortunately, I couldn't approve your article, because the pictures aren't working. They're all broken.

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:12 pm

In your filing system do the images reside in the same directory as the html page or are they in a separate directory.? I will re-submitt the article and see if that works. :O)

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:43 pm

I got it this time, but I lost all of the "alt=" text that I usually have for my images. Anyway I read thru the directions. Thanks for being patient, it is my first time. :O)

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:42 pm

There you go, approved. Smile

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:04 am

i have an article request for someone with more experience than i have.

an article on tumbling media.

i recently heard that tumbling in steel shot workhardens stuff.
with pins, without pins

some people tumble in walnutshell

white rice
those plastic pellets
the jewelry store suggested ceramic (which i shot down as being ridiculous.. -why- would you put an abrasive in with silver to rub away your valuable metal!?!

anyway.. i use white rice, and i want to get some shot, but i don't know about any of the rest.

an article on this would be supercool x2.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:16 am

Has anyone written an article on T joints in the euro weaves? or even if there is any use for them?

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:53 am

expanding on my previous post; Does anyone want to know how to put chainmaille loops onto a sheet of E4-1 with the same ring size as the sheet? Also could be a stronger way to layer maille?

here is what I mean. photo taken with my phone. so excuse the bad quality.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:24 pm

Skip, is that a slit in the fabric, or just extra material added on to the outside? I've thought of trying the latter for some belt loops on my hauberk, because the dunlap doesn't like to stay over the belt.

An article on Arrows and Bullets vs. Maille seems to be a must.

A wise man cannot be insulted, for the truth is not an insult, and untruth is not worthy of notice.

Jump to:  
Page 4 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next