Articles wanted!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 45

Articles wanted!
Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:13 pm || Last edited by Drax on Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey everybody! I've been going through and reorganizing the articles (check out the "updates" link and look at the last two days for a laugh). After reshuffling some articles and renaming others for clarity, I've got a better idea of what information we could use.

So please take a look at the list below. Please remember that this list is only a guide, if you have something you'd like to write down to help others out in the realm of chainmaille, please do!

construction -- teaching: we've got only a little information on guides or helps in teaching...

supplies -- different metals: lorenzo's article on titanium is the only one currently there (an article here should be as extensive as possible). edit: Thadius has added a couple article in this area, thanks Thadius!!

personal experiences -- movie reviews (meaning, with maille)... write a review, include pics (if you can), detail what maille is visible, not just "this movie has maille in it"

jewelry -- the jewelry section is surprisingly bare!! wire wrapping, basic techniques, all need fleshing out

we have no information on split rings and their sources and uses

soldering in maille -- a primer, and/or uses

connections -- how to connect different weaves to each other (euro 4-1 to 6-1, persian trim on euro, merging 4-1 into dragonscale, etc...)

history -- only a couple articles there

inlays! i know there's lots and lots of inlays out there, but we only have 18 currently! Please submit your inlays (if you did not make an inlay, you MUST get permission of the creator).

I'm sure there's much more that would be great to add, so if you have an idea, go for it!

edit: (updated some stuff)

Submissions: 23

Posted on Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:44 pm

You forgot to maintain riveted maille. I?m currently lacking in a pair of piercing tongs so I can?t pierce the rings. Hmm, maybe I?ll put up a temporary version with a hand-held piercing drift. I?ll see what I can do.
As I said previously, I already wrote the article and need only pictures to go along. I think I?ll get on it soon.
Hopefully I?ll be done by the end of the week, but until I can make a new pair of piercing tongs I won?t be able to put pictures of it.
That reminds me, I?m making the piercing tongs now, and taking pictures of the various steps. When I?m done I?ll get an article about it. Currently I have big problem drilling the hole for the drift. I?ll try and ask around for help.

I think I can come up with some renderings for inter-weave connections. No guaranty, though.

Cheers, Eli I

It's not the tool, it's how you use it.
Exchange knowledge, not opinions.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:50 pm

Quick request... the article here: http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=3701
is just named, "Making my first bikini set". I reference it often as the instructions on how to construct an M-style bikini top. I'm sure this is not the only one that could use a more detailed title, but it's the one I use the most. Perhaps, "Making an M-style bikini set"? Or something?

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein
Raven's nest: http://www.ravenrings.com
FiRe Dance: http://www.seraphinafire.com

Posted on Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:23 pm

That's a good idea, I'll take care of it this weekend, I hope. I tried to add more detailed titles with the weaves, for instance, or where there were multiple topics, but I got kinda swamped after awhile (and i'm less familiar w/ the construction of the bikini top stuff). I'll see what I can do Smile

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:29 am

What we need is a naming convention, so that you can categorize by title! We use them in Engineer-land all the time.

For example, We could use names that fit the convention:

<action>:<subject>:<name>:<title>

Where action could be one of:
Construction
Theory
Information
Personal Experience
etc...

And subject could be one of a much larger set containing things like:
Weave
Clothing
Tool
Necklace
Bracelet
Armor
Supplies
etc...

And name would be a one or two word identifier supplied by the author, intended to contain things like:
Halter Top
Byzantine Web
Hauberk
Persian Handflower
etc...

So all your titles would end up looking something like:

"Construction:Clothing:Persian Headdress:How to Make My Spiffy, New, Patented Headdress"

or

"Information:Supplies:Rivetting Tools: Where I Get My Hole Pokers"

In this way, the site wouldn't need to have as many categories, AND the authors would still get to pick the title that pleases them, without making it impossible for others to figure out what the article is about...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:12 pm

I used a decent naming convention for the Weaves section of the articles, but it breaks down quickly for the other sections. I prefer the main topic to go first (weave name, item type, etc) because that's what people will read first. It's also better for the alphabetical ordering, otherwise, like in the weaves, everything starts with "Constructing".

I'll get to it this weekend if i'm not playing FFCC too much (; hehe

Posted on Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:24 pm

I think Blaise meant to have everything expect the title behind the screen. The format he gave will be the way the data base is organized, with only the title the submit/admin gave it be visible. I assume that this is a solution for the site?s automated data base submission system. It makes everything run smoothly and in a similar way to what you envisioned, while still allowing for a simple name for the article.

Cheers, Eli I

Submissions: 16

Posted on Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:53 pm

There are a couple of articles that I'd like to write about my one ring at a time method for doing persian chain and sheet weaves but I don't have any way to do the rendering.

I personally feel that there isn't any better way to illustrate weaving than with CGI due to the clarity of it.

Thanks,
Brucifer (Bruce + Lucifer = Brucifer)

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:53 am

I also do one ring at a time half persians. Much easier. I have a problem rendering them however, i will try to figure it out.

CGI is definatly the way to go, much clearer. Although a few articles seem to have the CGI's blurred a bit, or is it just my computer?

"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"
Psalm 14:1

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Sir Arthur Keith

"You might be a liberal if you don't trust honest Americans with automatic weapons, but you do trust the government with them."

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."
Stalin

Some of my items are for sale on www.maillemarket.com , thank you.

Submissions: 62

Posted on Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:46 am

ummm... dont mean to be rude or yeah but when people submit and inlay article with 1 or 2 pics and some writing i think they should be relocated to the gallery section for pics. with dialouge under neath,

unless it is a step by step thing to making an inlay or and especially hard 3 or more toned color inlay

but now that i have my new digitalcamera ill be willing to make a jewelry article as soon as some time frees up!

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Posted on Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:32 pm

Go here for the discussion on relocating the inlays to the gallery: Inlays...

Cheers, Eli I

Submissions: 58

Posted on Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:11 am

There seems to be a problem with Article submission - Drax contacted me about it as soon as he found out (thank you for that), but noone responded to him about it, and that was a week ago - what's up, you guys?

Posted on Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:07 pm

Blaise will be back soon, then we can take care of it. Regardless, I'll try to get it this weekend...

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:55 am

Would an article over adapting lindstrom biosprings to other pliers be too specific?

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:03 pm

QtR -- not at all, in fact it sounds rather interesting. Please write it up and submit if when you get the chance (tool modification?)

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 6. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next