1st project request for feedback
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 1

1st project request for feedback
Posted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:12 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I just finished my 1st bracelet as a gift to my wife for Christmas. I was wondering peoples thoughts. Its lame and fast but its done and I DID IT!!!!!!!!

This is the gallery pic with the details
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/subcat.cgi?mode=cat&key=14&page=6

and here is a better pic I took after I uploaded the one.

Any thoughts suggestions or comments? Yeah I know I saw a few bad closing jobs I did on a few links.

I hope my hauberk comes out better LOL

Thanks
E[/img]

If at first you don't succeed.....do a tactical withdrawl and bring back friends.....

Submissions: 18

Posted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:43 pm

Nice job! Is that gold fill?

You already know there are a few imperfect closures, but they'll get better with time and practice. Dont worry about it! ...Most of your closures look great!
Have you considered lengthening it into a necklace? The only reason I ask is because of the weave, it will only be stable if the ends are joined together. It may be rather unwieldly to put on without help, if your wife is okay with that, then no worries!

Again, good job! I'm sure that by the time your huberk is done you will have mastered closures! Razz

Too much confusion! I'm going metric

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:07 pm

Gold plated. I was not too fussy with the 1st. I actually started a thread in the kniting circle regarding a silver and gold DS choker I was thinking of for the companion to this. I still obviously have some more tools to buy yet but ..... for a necklace you are suggesting a permanently closed length then? Long enough to fit over the head. I can do that though I might just make another rather then extend the bracelet.

Thanks
E

If at first you don't succeed.....do a tactical withdrawl and bring back friends.....

Submissions: 18

Posted on Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:17 pm

Yes, I permenently close all my spiral chains to fit over the head.
There is an alternitive though, you can do a locked spiral chain, this has additional links to keep the chain from unraveling. There is a tutorial in the articals section if you are interested.

Too much confusion! I'm going metric

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:40 am

I don't know what you think is 'lame', if this is your first chain, I'm gonna hate you by your tenth!

My only constructive comments would be to use a different metal - copper is pretty cheap to practice with and oxidizes fantastic and, use a different method of cutting your rings - jeweler's saw, double flush cutters or koil kutter so you get nice flush cuts.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:24 am

yeah. really. if you want to practice use copper or galvy. not gold plated. way too expensive. but if you have to practice with a gold look, then go with brass. save the actual gold for when you know the best way to cut, close, and weave the rings.

my myspace page
runescape screenname was Sour D
-trusty sidekick
-kid Confused

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1