"Barefoot shoes"
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

"Barefoot shoes"
Posted on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

First off, it's been a while since my pliers weren't used at the diesel shop where I work. I'm glad to be back into it, after some encouragement from a few coworkers.
I recently saw an article about these chainmail "shoes" made by GoST-barefoot. If you haven't seen them yet I recommend checking them out. I've posted a link

Simply, it's nothing more than a pair of chainmail socks with some laces and some nifty rubber pads on the bottom. They range from $160-360 respectively. That may be ok for normies, but I refuse to pay that much for something I could make in a night.
My question is; what kind of template could I use? It seems a ballerina shoe pattern would work, even though I wear a size 17 and I doubt I would find one in that size. I would appreciate some thoughts or ideas.

http://gost-barefoots.com/en/the-paleos/

Submissions: 389

Posted on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 am

personally, i wouldn't go by a partern. i would wrap my foot with strips of e4 and seem them together. you could also make a plaster mold of your foot to work on instead of bending down constantly to adjust to your real foot. you'll need to have all e4 seems perfected for this project. here is an article i wrote that might help a bit.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=749

Submissions: 244

Posted on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm

It's not as easy to make a good pair of maille shoes as you seem to think it is. They need to be strong, flexible and lightweight. Very small rings are necessary to prevent foot punctures. I don't believe they would be at all practical without welding the rings.

As far as patterns go, a standard sock pattern works fine, just add a slit for the laces. It will have to be fairly close fitting since there's no elasticity to the material, otherwise it would be baggy and flop around while walking. The laces should also be elastic.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1