passing on the keys to the castle
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 389

passing on the keys to the castle
Posted on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

is there any plan in place to hand over everything that is needed to run this site and keep it going in the event that any tragedy was to occur? my concern is that if something bad were to ever happen, the bill would not get paid and this site would be forever shut down with no one left to raise it from the dead. i think passwords, bills, information, coding, etc all need to be passed on to a beneficiary/s that can take up all duties if/when something bad happens.

Posted on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:37 pm

i guess the lack of response answers my question.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:39 pm

You gave anyone 14 hours to respond on a Friday for a topic that is likely difficult to carefully post publicly. I find this wait-time to be extremely short, given that most visitors only show up about once a week.

At the very least, stuff will simply not "vanish". There are other services that snapshot the site, like archive.org.

At the very least (#2), I know there are redundant systems in place. Multiple people have administrative access. TRL manages the finances, as per the BoD. This hypothetical "tragedy" needs to hit multiple parts of the world simultaneously.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
You gave anyone 14 hours to respond on a Friday for a topic that is likely difficult to carefully post publicly. I find this wait-time to be extremely short, given that most visitors only show up about once a week.

At the very least, stuff will simply not "vanish". There are other services that snapshot the site, like archive.org.

At the very least (#2), I know there are redundant systems in place. Multiple people have administrative access. TRL manages the finances, as per the BoD. This hypothetical "tragedy" needs to hit multiple parts of the world simultaneously.

28 hrs on a friday is not long enough, indeed.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Posted on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 am

great! just wanted to make sure.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:30 pm

A backup, (read only) would of course be a prudent course of action. I assume given the now venerable nature of this site (2000, quite the age in internet terms) something like this regularly occurs.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Mmm... Digging up old threads.

Sometimes I miss things like this on my pass through, simply due to the nature of time.

Backups (both hosting level, and local by myself) are done, as well as there being two of us with Top Level access to everything, passwords, accounts, etc. Blaise may no longer be active, but rest assured, he'd raise the site from the grave if need be.
Honour amongst coders.

CMB (amongst others) have also got Direct-Dial access to me Wink

Worry less. Maille more.

As for bills? It's come out of my personal account for the past few years... One day I'll see about getting ahold of Jon or Lorenzo for reimbursement *shrugs*

Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:51 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Mmm... Digging up old threads.

That? Awww that's practically a hobby!

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

As for bills? It's come out of my personal account for the past few years... One day I'll see about getting ahold of Jon or Lorenzo for reimbursement *shrugs*

I know that one sir, I've kept an audio library online for about 14 years now. That said, if you want to share the pain I'm sure I can paypal you a reimbursement or two..... I hate to see anyone take the full hit for what is a social and artistic movement.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1