Mandrel?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

Mandrel?
Posted on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:45 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi there In New to chainmaille. I've been hand cooling my rings but trying to build my own jig. Any advice on how I put a wire hole into my mandrels?

Posted on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Tip I got from a master mechanic: When drilling into a round surface, especially one with a narrow diameter, use a mill file to create a flat spot and center punch in that. It'll help keep the drill bit from skittering off the stock.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:56 pm

Nyckname wrote:
Tip I got from a master mechanic: When drilling into a round surface, especially one with a narrow diameter, use a mill file to create a flat spot and center punch in that. It'll help keep the drill bit from skittering off the stock.

I concur. Wise words here.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks! I get in everyday but usually just looking up new weave tutorials I forgot about this post. I'm making decent size could now and have been just us in wiss snips for cutting my stainless steel, thats what I use the most. I've watched some different YouTube videos and done a bit of research and was thinking of trying out either a Freeport drill for cutting my coils. Any advice welcome! what is your preference? I have a jewellers saw but doesn't work well w my thicker gauges of stainless

Wire hole in mandrel rod
Posted on Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:18 am

When I made the holes in my rods I used a clamp and drill press, which worked well. Unfortunately, it was not my drill press and it has since been sold, so I guess I will have to use the file and punch method. Thanks for the suggestion.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 am

I never put holes in my mandrels. I use the space in the chuck to stick my wire in and than start coiling.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1