Advice on beads for simple 4-in-1 or box-weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Advice on beads for simple 4-in-1 or box-weave
Posted on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:36 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi friends!
I've been making a number of weaves as presents for friends, family and one significant other for a few years, always based on a few patterns which you likely know well...
Persian 6-1, 4-1, 3-1, Byzantine, Spiral 4-1, super standard double chain (to hold a ring/pendant), x-weave, box chain, and perhaps my favourite which is called Gryphon on this website.

Now, I'd like to add some semi-precious stones as beads in some of my weaves for bracelets and necklaces.

I almost exclusively use 18ga 7/18" rings, because those were the most versatile for me, and because it would've been very cost prohibitive to get various colours in other sizes.

It makes sense to me, mathematically, that a very simple 2-2-2-2-2 weave with beads inside would welcome 4mm beads perfectly, with a bit of room to remain flexible. I've been getting all of my rings from TRL (I'm in Canada), so my main rings are 1.2mm diameter and 5.8mm ID (4.83 AR). Subtracting 2x1.2 from 5.8, there's going to be 3.4mm space left for beads. But I don't know if 3mm beads will fit right - which is where you come in!

I've also got a few different colours (and am adding to my collection) in 18ga 1/4", which are 1.2mm vs 6.7mm (5.583 AR). One would think that 4mm beads would fit ideally in a 4.3mm space, while preserving agility - at least for simple weaves, mathematically!

But before I order some very cool semi-precious beads, (I love Lapis Lazuli, Howlite, Malachite (which is super expensive)), I would love to hear your opinions on the subject.

My ultimate goal, for a very, very significant birthday present coming up in a few months, would be to use a set of fine silver rings (of as-yet undetermined AR, but likely 18ga) and insert into them either spherical opals or faceted flame-fusion rubies, cost be damned. The rubies have very special significance to me, and opals are just incredibly beautiful, though I do wonder whether 4mm opals stuck inside a weave would really be at their best. That would be my master work, until the next Smile

I'd really appreciate any advice, experience, etc. For now, I'm working with inexpensive materials and potentially inexpensive semi-precious stones, so please don't hate on me/tell me I'm being unrealistic.

Much love, from your fellow artisan,
Sporky

Hullo thar

Submissions: 76

Posted on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 am

Sounds like you got a handle on all the basics.

My opinion, opals would be wasted on a bead - too small to see the colors. Opals would make a very nice cabochon. Perhaps you could make one like my recent gallery photo:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=9432
That would be nice with opal to show it off.

If you want to use beads, perhaps look at Romanov. You need to use a drilled bead, but at least you will be able to see it (rather than buried inside the chain). Here is an example:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=8355

Link some photos so we can see some of your work. Cutters

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 am

Thank you for the advice Smile

Hullo thar

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1