A Silly Question About Expanding Euro 4-in-1
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 2

A Silly Question About Expanding Euro 4-in-1
Posted on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:53 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello my wonderful Maillers!

I have a silly question. I'm trying to do a dicebag with euro 4-in-1, using 16g 5/16" rings (AR 5.2 for simplicity). I accidentally ordered them instead of the proper size because I thought those were what I used. I was painfully wrong, but that's my fault.

Anyway, what is the best way to start if all I'm using is that ring size? Should I use a larger ring size for the Queen's Ring in the middle?

My current thought process is that I should have 6 rings on the Queen's Ring but I'm not finding it sits right, so I think I'm just missing something.

Thanks!

Submissions: 389

Posted on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:57 am

i recommend starting with the "doughnut." that will give you a good idea of what can fit in the middle. you can also do a 3 ring mobius in the middle to make it look even better. then, fill in the middle with what makes sense (for me, 6 rings off the queen ring worked well). my rings are 16swg 3/16 in the pics above, but the same process will work for 5/16. it's just hard because your rings will want to flop all over the place. it's going to be a bit frustrating.

keep in mind that this is the 12 seem e4 expansion that is spiraling. there is also a 6, 8, or 10 seem expansion. i'm not sure which you are doing.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:08 am

I cannot agree more. It’s much easier with the donut method. That even let’s you work out How much slack you want in a much easier fashion.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 am

That makes sense. Can the Queen's Ring be another 16g 5/16 or should it be a larger or smaller ring?

Submissions: 574

Posted on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:10 am

Use whatever ring size fits best.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 am

Deathsy wrote:
That makes sense. Can the Queen's Ring be another 16g 5/16 or should it be a larger or smaller ring?

Nice thing is how tidy the result is when you use a same-size ring.

It doesn't have to be six links in it. Five links into the queen ring lie flatter and neater, so don't freak any if that's how it happens. You're looking for a link-lie, or angle, that is acceptably flat and doesn't hump up into any nipple shape, which is a failing of putting too many links into the queen.

You may find you only want four in.

You build out from this center until your outer edge has big gaps between links; as its diameter increases, its circumference increases three times as fast, so those links really spread apart. Then you fill in these gaps with expansion links, loading up the links these are hanging on with 5 links through the middle link of the element -- just as any other expansion. This quickly becomes second nature. Near the center (near the queen) is where this spread-out is most radical, with maximum change from row to row as you go outward, and the mail looks rather like you made a snowflake, until you fill the gaps in. Further out, the rate of change is less -- and by then you're about ready to construct the bag sides, more cylindrically, though it's fine to expand a little as you go and contract a little too so you don't have to really fold up a lot of mail at the dicebag's mouth.

So your bag is at least a bulged cylinder overall, or something even more rounded.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:27 am

To prevent the rings flopping out of place, do as much as you can with never picking the doughnut up. Leave it lie on your worksurface and slide links into place, and close them still lying on the surface as much as you can. If you did have to lift it up, lay it down again and smooth it out until all links are neatly back where they started.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1