Update on Mars InSight maille.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 244

Update on Mars InSight maille.
Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:41 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello everyone! Long time, no post. I've been way too busy.

I'm getting pretty excited to have the first piece of maille and scale armor to reach another planet. The lander that our maille is on is scheduled to touchdown November 26th on Elysium Planetia.

There are pics and info in the link for those just hearing about it.

http://mailletec.com/news

That's it really, I just wanted to share this with the community.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 388

Posted on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:35 am

very cool! thx for sharing.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:16 am

That is awesome! I know that you had been working on some other projects like maille wheels, but I didn't know you were doing anything like this. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to hear more about how things worked out.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:09 am

Congratulations!! Your place in history is now assured.

Posted on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:07 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the congratulations! The landing was successful, so it's officially on Mars now!

It's an awesome feeling to have a type of armor I invented and a piece built with my own hands even chosen for this mission, actually having it on another planet is pretty mind bending. Our armor is just a small component in a massive project that thousands of people have worked on but everyone here at MailleTec took shifts making it just to be a part of something that we believe in.

I have worked on a few projects with NASA and JPL before but only in the prototype stages. It takes a lot of rigorous testing to ensure that an idea is launch worthy.

Hopefully the armor does it's job shielding the mining equipment and they get a lot of useful data that will help future generations explore Mars and other planets.

www.mailletec.com

Posted on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Just another quick update the component that the maille is protecting was deployed onto the surface of Mars earlier this month. Here's a link to an article and picture of it on Mars.

https://www.spaceflightinsider.com/missions/solar-system/dome-shaped-shield-provides-protection-to-insight-seismometer/

www.mailletec.com

Submissions: 26

Posted on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Maille for the win Mr L!
Maille for the WIN!

Given the atmospheric conditions that maille has a good chance of outlasting most of our other earthbound works (even the stainless steel ones.) And if anything should happen to earth, it may end up being the last example of maille in the known universe. Not bad going eh?

Do you have any pictures of the actual piece itself or is that strictly hush hush?

ADDITIONAL: Found the pictures. I recognize that scale maille! Do have to say browsing your site (congratulations on the film credits by the way) I would say my favorite page is this one.....

Is Chainmail Bullet Proof?

No.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Classic!

"Diplomacy first, Armour second."

Posted on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Lol. Thanks.

It's theoretically possible that Mars will survive the death of the sun in five billion years or so. So I guess that piece of maille could exist until the end of the universe, however unlikely that may be.

www.mailletec.com

Posted on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 am

Indeed although, things will get a little wet and steamy there for a while (then fairly well, baked) during the red giant phase.

Fortunately with such a low level of oxy corrosion probably won't be a problem (so you just have to worry about it getting sandblasted apart over the aons. (and we're probably talking aons)

You used Stainless right? Very Happy

Posted on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:35 pm

No, NASA insisted on grade 5 titanium, all welded. The scales are milspec hard anodize aluminum so there won't be any issues with corrosion.

The landing area is a sedimentary plains, so the dust should cover it. In less than a million years it should be underground. After that it's just random meteorite strikes that would be the main issue I think.

www.mailletec.com

Posted on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Well, here's hoping it dodges Phobos. Well bit's of Phobos to be more accurate.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1