Seven sided units
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Seven sided units
Posted on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I can find 3, 4, 5 and 8 sided units.

Are there any 7-sided units, or is this just something that Doesn't Work?

Or is it a case of experimenting & trying to figure one out?

I'm totally new to this, haven't tried more than 2 weaves, but... Smile

Submissions: 389

Posted on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 am

there are many 7 sided units that exist, it's just rare because the ring sizes may be hard to find or the ring size required might be too large to be feasible. most units that have 5 sides can be made into 7 sides. the library on this site will not usually have progressions as high as 7 because they feel the technique has been established by the time 5 sides are reached.

Submissions: 76

Posted on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:35 pm

December Units are nice. That would work well with seven, if you have a larger ring for the center.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=858
Cutters

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:11 pm

One link with seven links passing through it makes a good beginning to a mail coif if the central ring -- the "queen ring" -- is larger diameter than the other seven. It will be somewhat stronger there in butted mail if you only use 5 surrounding rings and a same-sized queen ring, though; five are enough to get the skullcap of the mail hood started.

The disadvantage of using a great many links about the queen ring is they tend to stand up sharply, giving the "nipplehead" or "lemon head" effect: clumsy looking. A big queen ring can relax this, but there are really better ways.

An eight-sided basic unit, usually spoken of here as European 8-1, is a doubling up of the basic Euro 4-1 unit, a variation of that family. Usually requires thinner diameter wire than the rest of the mail piece to conveniently fit all eight links into a given diameter of central link. In armor mail and such, it gives a sumptuous effect rather like the edge stitching on an embroidered patch. Pretty.

For convenience, various weaves are often abbrev'd all the way down to E4-1, E8-1 ; J for Japanese 4- or 6-1, HP for Half Persian, etc. (The latter has nothing whatever to do with Persia, it's just a name.)

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:58 pm

I agree with Konstantin that while pinch cut is not the best for jewelry it can pass. I have passed pinch cuts off for flush because of how I got them to match.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:04 am

That's a good opinion.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1