Half Persian 2 Sheet 4 in 1 (1 of 3): Minimum AR
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 574

Half Persian 2 Sheet 4 in 1 (1 of 3): Minimum AR
Posted on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've been weaving quite a bit of Half Persian 2 in 1 Sheet 4/Persian 4 in 1 Sheet lately.

Anyone familiar with this sheet is aware of its natural tendency to curl. At lower ARs the curl is forced. This starts at around AR of 5.0 - AR of 5.1 (see also TrenchCoatGuy's sample). (Note: Currently my website incorrectly suggests about 4.7, but this was an poor estimate based on a small sheet at 4.5. This will be corrected for the next update. It will also be moved into the "Half Persian" section and out of "Persian Extended".)

I produced several same size samples (7x7 (7x14ring count)) in different ARs from AR of 6.0 down to AR of 4.3, the latter of which curves quite a bit. Actually while weaving at this AR I was thinking that this is the perfect AR in terms of look and consistency if it weren't for the curl! At any rate, I tried the next sample at AR of 4.1 and it quickly locked up. At an AR of 4.2, the sheet expands further than 4.1, but still locks up.

AR of 4.2 sample:

This leads me to wonder exactly where the minimum AR lies. If the sheet has even a little bit of forced curl, wouldn't it have to lock up at some point? I think of a carpet being rolled up. The roll becomes larger. At some point the roll must become so large that the material is near flat. So if the material being added to the roll has a forced curve, would it eventually no longer be possible to continue? Would this put the actual minimum AR for the weave somewhere around 5.0?

I don't particularly feel like weaving a half million rings to find out, as much as I love this weave, and I love this weave quite a bit. Smile

At some point I plan to put together an AR comparison article.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 28

Re: Half Persian 2 Sheet 4 in 1 (1 of 3): Minimum AR
Posted on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
Anyone familiar with this sheet is aware of its natural tendency to curl. At lower ARs the curl is forced. This starts at around AR of 5.0 - AR of 5.1 (see also TrenchCoatGuy's sample).

I pulled out that piece again. When I attempt to force the corners opposite the "curl" preference, it twists past flat (without supplying a strong enough force that would flex these spring steel rings)... suggesting that AR of 4.98 is -above- that "minimum lay flat" AR, but not by much.

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
I don't particularly feel like weaving a half million rings to find out, as much as I love this weave, and I love this weave quite a bit. Smile

I still think I like Half Persian 3 Sheet 5 Crossover more. This is definitely a top contender, though. Picking up this piece again reminded me of the fun folding that it does... Might have to switch my top pick again, since rolling the crossover sheet is not an option.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1