Need some advice on an extremely important chain....
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Need some advice on an extremely important chain....
Posted on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello all, this is my first time posting here, although I am a long-time lurker.

I'm in a bit of a jam, as I've been tasked to make an incredibly important chain for a close family friend. Length is no trouble, neither is style; he wants it around 70cm long (the client is a fairly beefy guy) and he wants it in JPL5, which is a favourite weave of mine, so that's all great too.

Over the summer, I showed him my chain that I made for myself from 19G 3/16" stainless steel from TRL. It's kinda chunky, and on me it feels like a pretty hefty chain (I'm pretty thin and small so anything feels big and chunky on me.)

I'm currently in the materials-purchase-planning phase of the project, and I've hit two major snarls. For a start, I'm wondering if it might be good to go with a smaller ring size; 20G 5/32 will apparently also work for this, although I don't have any rings in that size to try it out myself. Would a thinner chain be better? He's a pretty active guy, and he wants to wear this chain all the time, and that's because....

...Problem 2: He's got his own pendant for it, made of silver. I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say the pendant is the last gift from the woman he loved. I do NOT want to screw this up.

I also know that steel and silver don't really play nice together. How should I fashion the bail/holding ring to make damn sure the pendant doesn't get scratched? How would you fashion it so it doesn't fall off? Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

I am getting paid, for the record; but making a chain out of silver is within neither of our budgets. That and i'm operating out of a dorm currently, and I don't have a link welder.

So, to TLDR my rambling: Hi I'm new here, is a thicker stainless chain better for a bigger guy or would something thin be better, and how do I compose an attachment for a priceless silver pendant to fit onto a steel chain for constant wear?

Any advice is appreciated. Normally I just dive into projects, but this one I really can't screw up.

Here's a picture of the example chain's thickness:

[/img]

Submissions: 76

Posted on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Sounds like you understand the project, parameters, options well. But your making it too complicated. All the possibilities you discussed will work.

You need to work with what you got. Put your energy into quality. Make every link closure as smooth and neat as possible. Do an extra good job on polishing, if you have a tumbler say.

For the bail to connect pendant, go with stainless since that is where most of the wear will occur from sliding. Then, I would switch to a hard sterling jump ring to connect the pendant. Silver will tarnish eventually anyway. Contact with stainless isn't a great concern. Just minimize the contact so it is one jump ring connecting to the bail and it should be fine.

Now comes the fun part - where you get to be the artist. Pick one of the options (they are all fine) and OWN IT. You know the details better than anybody. When you give it to him, say you chose this style, and it looks great on you!

Oh, and don't forget to show us some pictures of the finished product! Cutters

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 pm

Alright, I absolutely will when it's finished! It'll take a few weeks, probably; school comes first, but thank you so much.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1