U.S source for 1mm stainless wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

U.S source for 1mm stainless wire
Posted on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:50 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Not here to get into the topic of tariffs. But do to them I need to find a US source for 19SWG/18AWG stainless that's suitable for chainmail. I'm running into problems searching. Like only selling in insane amounts, only has full hard or dead soft, ect.

I figured rather then just searching blindly I would see if anyone around here could point me in the right direction

Submissions: 9

Re: U.S source for 1mm stainless wire
Posted on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:12 pm

stome wrote:
Not here to get into the topic of tariffs. But do to them I need to find a US source for 19SWG/18AWG stainless that's suitable for chainmail. I'm running into problems searching. Like only selling in insane amounts, only has full hard or dead soft, ect.

I figured rather then just searching blindly I would see if anyone around here could point me in the right direction

Maybe these folks? Fairbanks Wire

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 am

And how about which stainless alloy you'd prefer? Seems to be lots of 304-alloy stainless wire out there in the market. There are others.

Dollars and cents, what are tariffs and threatened tariffs actually *doing* to your costs in buying relatively small quantities of SS wire?

I suppose up until this year you had your preferred source for buying SS wire; who was that, and what's their story now?

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:38 am

Hate to be a bummer but it's going to be very hard to find a way around the tariffs. There are a number of large processors of stainless wire in the US like Gerrard Daniels or Interwire but they get their feedstock from China. What little stainless that is produced in North America is all high end alloys for the aerospace and military industries.

weldedchainmail.com

Posted on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:54 pm

So we need to get a complete understanding of Stome's motivation; he's not yet discussed that.

I don't see the tariffs themselves as any sort of permanent measure -- I figure their value is as bargaining points. There is potential for time and events to cure.

He may need to go to the bother of constructing a furnace to anneal in.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:10 am

Early November and complete silence -- or else he's taken his quest to a mailler channel on Facebook.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1