Colour Coding Maille in the library
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic Reply to topic
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion
   
Author Message

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 627
Submissions: 15

Colour Coding Maille in the library
Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:54 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Inspired by the positive response to My colourcoded DNB I thought we could come up with a colour schema for colour coding?

My proposal:
Matte colour should be avoided. (Ie, brass, anod titanium)
Colours should closely follow classical heraldry colours; with Two exceptions; bronze is more readable than gold, and fur is not applicable.

That means we have a few types of rings needed to be colour-Coded. I’ll make a (non-exhaustive) list below, of types that can be generalised:
Bolts: (ie Byzantine)
Orbitals: (ie orbit)
Captives: (ie CIR)

What’s your opinion?


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Joined: April 30, 2018
Posts: 63
Submissions: 9
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Colour Coding Maille in the library
Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Karpeth wrote:
Inspired by the positive response to My colourcoded DNB I thought we could come up with a colour schema for colour coding?

My proposal:
Matte colour should be avoided. (Ie, brass, anod titanium)
Colours should closely follow classical heraldry colours; with Two exceptions; bronze is more readable than gold, and fur is not applicable.

That means we have a few types of rings needed to be colour-Coded. I’ll make a (non-exhaustive) list below, of types that can be generalised:
Bolts: (ie Byzantine)
Orbitals: (ie orbit)
Captives: (ie CIR)

What’s your opinion?


I like the idea. Using multiple colors really makes it easier to see what's going on in a weave (for me, at least). Especially with orbital rings. By "bolts", do you mean rings that have been flipped/reversed? (Not sure if I'm using the right term.)

But I'm not sure that a standard color key would work. Mind you, I'm a total newbie, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that the colors you choose would depend on what it is you're trying to call out. In some cases, maybe there's a critical ring (of any type) that is what makes the weave the weave, or otherwise holds things together. In that case, you'd call out the ring not by what type it is, but by what it's doing for the weave.

I'm kind of on both sides of the fence with this.

On the other hand, if we did have a standard color key, it'd be nice to have a tool-tip (like the AR tool-tip in the weave library) that shows the color key on hover-over. Weavers who deviate from the standard key for whatever reason would need to make sure to write out the key in the description.

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 627
Submissions: 15

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Oh. Sorry.

Usually rings flipped in the Byzantine are called ”Wings” but that’s a feature of weaves closely related to Byzantine.

A ”bolt” is a single ring, a single ring substitute, or the likes, connecting compex units or cells together. (It could be expanded to include ”moon” and ”flower”, and the likes under the concept of ”bolting”).

In Byzantine the non-flipped rings are the bolts. (However, equivalent rings in many related weaves lose their bolts-ness.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Joined: February 15, 2002
Posts: 385
Submissions: 10

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Though heraldry colors may be nice, I would be more concerned with choosing colors that have a large enough difference in brightness that even people with color blindness can follow the scheme.


IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 627
Submissions: 15

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:32 am || Last edited by Karpeth on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Do you have any input on How to fix for colour blind? The only thing I know is not to mix red and green.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Joined: February 15, 2002
Posts: 385
Submissions: 10

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I don't know much, as I've only read about dealing with color blindness in books on user interfaces and web design. To check a design, I'll convert it to grayscale and make sure that everything is still legible.


IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 627
Submissions: 15

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:43 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Zlosk wrote:
I don't know much, as I've only read about dealing with color blindness in books on user interfaces and web design. To check a design, I'll convert it to grayscale and make sure that everything is still legible.


Unfortunatly, it takes a bit longer to make and remake Maille than user interfaces. Wink


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Joined: August 05, 2010
Posts: 601
Submissions: 28
Location: Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:13 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I think coloring rings based on interaction could be exceptionally useful for a handful of weaves, but the vast majority will likely not benefit.

I think there would be a broader impact of coloring rings based on components to a repeating unit in the weave (where each ring in that unit gets a unique color).

I'll also note that there are a good handful of CGI-based tutorials that already use color for "rings added" and "rings that the new ones connect to". Definitely in tutorial-land, this is the most useful information for color use.


while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Joined: April 30, 2018
Posts: 63
Submissions: 9
Location: San Diego, CA

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Karpeth wrote:
Oh. Sorry.

Usually rings flipped in the Byzantine are called ”Wings” but that’s a feature of weaves closely related to Byzantine.

A ”bolt” is a single ring, a single ring substitute, or the likes, connecting compex units or cells together. (It could be expanded to include ”moon” and ”flower”, and the likes under the concept of ”bolting”).

In Byzantine the non-flipped rings are the bolts. (However, equivalent rings in many related weaves lose their bolts-ness.


No need to apologize -- I'm sorry I don't know the terminology yet. But thank you very very much for the explanation. That makes sense, and I can follow now. Thanks again!

Joined: April 30, 2018
Posts: 63
Submissions: 9
Location: San Diego, CA

Reply with quote
Posted on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:07 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Karpeth wrote:
Zlosk wrote:
I don't know much, as I've only read about dealing with color blindness in books on user interfaces and web design. To check a design, I'll convert it to grayscale and make sure that everything is still legible.


Unfortunatly, it takes a bit longer to make and remake Maille than user interfaces. Wink


What you could do is lay out your rings (not weave them) and take a picture of them side by side. Then convert to grayscale and check for contrast.

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1
All times are GMT. The time now is Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:19 pm
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion
Display posts from previous: