Where are the jump rings?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Where are the jump rings?
Posted on Sat May 26, 2018 2:52 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey All!

My name is Kori and I just started venturing into the world of chainmaille about a month ago.

Let me say that I am consumed. Also, I have quickly fell for this site and all of it's awesome tutorials. I think it's safe to say I could spend days straight worth the free time just looking at tutorials-probably because I have, indeed, done just that. And I am neither proud nor ashamed.

Anyways, to the point. I have found so many sources for wire and chainmaille that I have spent great quantities of time, that may rival my recent tutorial viewing, finding and comparing rings of different shapes, materials, profiles, colors and prices.

What I'm wondering is, do you have recommendations? Being as I'm just starting out, price is a priority right now. However, I do hope to one day be skilled enough to sell my wares. So, feel free to chime in on who has the most consistent rings and wire.

I include wire in my inquiry because I do intend to make a coiling and cutting rig someday. So, if you have any tips on those ventures please do enlighten me. But, for the record, I do not have a garage, or shed or shop and I am by no means a master fabricator, but i do have basic tools, such as; a variable speed drill, a circle saw, wrenches and drivers and other things.

I do hope that this article was not too long winded and that I hear back from some of you people that have been in the game for awhile now.

Sincerely,
Kori

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Most people will have their preferences.

I used to use The Ring Lord, almost exclusively, when purchasing pre-cut rings.

http://www.theringlord.com

favorite ring sites
Posted on Mon May 28, 2018 5:42 am

I can definitely agree on that subject. I've looked around at various sites and companies, but have always settled for The Ring Lord. On top of being one of the more prevalent sites, they have a lot of imagery and documentation on the rings they use, as well as provide beginner's tutorials and instructions for basic chain maille and scale maille weaves. I also like that they provide materials for a lot of film and television productions. So that's where I go. So far I've spent about $180 over the course of a year, and have always been satisfied with the speed, service, and convenience.

[b]"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer."[b]

Submissions: 388

Posted on Mon May 28, 2018 6:17 am

trl is the biggest chainmaille supplier. this site is the largest weave and tutorial database we have. i run my own supply store. i specialize in stainless, titanium, and aa. i make special sizes that the larger suppliers won't make. i also sell kits and tutorials and run a monthly subscription to chainmaille supplies.

http://www.joshuadiliberto.com/CHAINMAIL.html

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 pm

I've gotten supplies from "Weave Got Maille", also (as well as The Ring Lord, whom I heartily second as a good supply source).

Mithrilweaver, I took a look at your site. You've got some really nice things there. I love the keychains section!

Submissions: 388

Posted on Tue May 29, 2018 6:17 am

Jackalgirl wrote:
I've gotten supplies from "Weave Got Maille", also (as well as The Ring Lord, whom I heartily second as a good supply source).

Mithrilweaver, I took a look at your site. You've got some really nice things there. I love the keychains section!

thx much!

Posted on Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 pm

Such wow Uber . Thank you for all of the feedback! I have spent many an hour on TRL and find, myself, they have a spectacularly varietal selection of wire, coils and rings. I have, in fact, already purchased a couple of grab bags from them.

So, they're already in the bag Wink.

Has anyone ever purchased mats from PandaHall? I realize that their crazy low prices could potentially reflect through their quality. But I was wondering, had anybody had gave them a try, if they through they may be of suitable quality for a beginner that isn't loaded but wants to play with a lot of colors and sizes anyways.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed May 30, 2018 1:24 am

Welcome!

The nice thing about any sort of beaders' mat is that resilient and rather soft surface helps with sliding rings into place on the edge of a mailpatch -- which is *very* handy with keeping the edges of a piece of Euro 4-1 organized. Turned-over links in E4-1 can really baffle the inexperienced mailler, and we get urgent calls for help every once in a while. A mat also helps keep rings from rolling away before they ever get started doing that. Nearly any resilient surface will do, including a bit of old blanket stretched across a board you've put on your lap, or across the arms of an easy chair.

You're perfectly equipped to build a power wire-coiler like I did with the tools you presently have; you could do it tonight. All you must have is some way to anchor down whatever piece of wood you screw the eyescrew (or eyescrews, depending how fancy you want to go) into. I use my patio rail but anything will do. Your drill will suit any mandrel diameter up to its max size -- is it a 3/8" drill? That will do for up to 3/8" mandrels then, and a !/2" drill for up to 1/2". 3/8" internal diameter, or ID, is getting well up there in size for handbuilt mail; for armor-mail it is large -- historically the stuff was commonest from 1/4 to 5/16 inch ID. A power coiling rig like mine is nearly nothing to make; just follow the picture in Library: Gallery: Tools. Get a washer like I show there, and you don't even need to drill a hole through a round rod to anchor the wire end with -- and with rods smaller than the drill's maximum diameter, you can just anchor the wire end within the drill chuck and its jaws.

Armor mail in steel links doesn't need super neat cuts to its link ends; a boltcutter cut or shear cut will do fine. Steel wire is humble, strong, and inexpensive. If you're coiling and cutting your own links rather than buying steel links pre-cut, for an armor mail project you want a fast way to cut because armor projects can start around 5K links and climb steeply to the 40K or so links of a longsleeved hauberk, that descends to your kneecaps.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Wed May 30, 2018 5:35 pm

Konstantin the Red wrote:
Welcome!

The nice thing about any sort of beaders' mat is that resilient and rather soft surface helps with sliding rings into place on the edge of a mailpatch --

You're perfectly equipped to build a power wire-coiler like I did with the tools you presently have; you could do it tonight.

Armor mail in steel links doesn't need super neat cuts to its link ends; a boltcutter cut or shear cut will do fine. Steel wire is humble, strong, and inexpensive. If you're coiling and cutting your own links rather than buying steel links pre-cut, for an armor mail project you want a fast way to cut because armor projects can start around 5K links and climb steeply to the 40K or so links of a longsleeved hauberk, that descends to your kneecaps.

Thank you for the helpful information! Though I abbreviated materials to 'mats'. I can see how that caused a misunderstanding Coif LoL . Regardless, the insight you provided was still useful.

Posted on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:25 am

Yes, mats do get used; worth a thought.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Jackalgirl wrote:

I just placed an order from Weave Got Maille, after looking at a few other sites to compare. I thought they were the easiest for a newbie like me to order from, since they describe the types of metals used in the jump rings, and have descriptions of how to determine what gauge and size to order.

*MJ*

Posted on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:19 pm

tallymh wrote:
Jackalgirl wrote:

I just placed an order from Weave Got Maille, after looking at a few other sites to compare. I thought they were the easiest for a newbie like me to order from, since they describe the types of metals used in the jump rings, and have descriptions of how to determine what gauge and size to order.

The other thing I like about them is that their bags of jump rings are carefully labelled. It makes keeping track and keeping organized easier. Not that it's going to keep me from going out and buying myself a nice micrometer, tho...

Posted on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:26 am

And it doesn't have to be that nice a micrometer or calipers. Accuracy to a hundredth or half a hundredth is sufficient for mail. Mail's all about the big tolerances anyway.

Posted on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Konstantin the Red wrote:
And it doesn't have to be that nice a micrometer or calipers. Accuracy to a hundredth or half a hundredth is sufficient for mail. Mail's all about the big tolerances anyway.

Shhh. Mama wants the good stuff.

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:35 am

I say, J-girl, did you get that calipers?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next