Closed loop weave - of bicycle tires
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Closed loop weave - of bicycle tires
Posted on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi,

I do obstacle course racing, specifically the Dutch variant called "Survival Run", as a member of the Swedish sports club KFUM Uppsala Survival IF, in Uppsala, Sweden.

One of my interests is coming up with new and interesting obstacles to include in our permanent obstacle course, and the races we organise.

My latest idea is to weave nets out of worn out bicycle tires, which are available cheaply and in abundance from my home town's bicycle repair shops. The best design ("weave"?) I've come up with is demonstrated by rubber band wristband:

I figured that this particular weave can be made in flat sheets but also in the shape of a cylinder.

What other weaves can one construct out of only closed loops, possibly with some rope ties to lock the edges? The flexibility of the tires is another interesting difference to steel rings.

I know this isn't chain maille, but perhaps it's an interesting thought problem for chain maille enthusiasts anyway. Smile

Best regards,
Martin

Submissions: 22

Posted on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm

You could do a "rope" with foxtail:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=4253
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=6074

A lot of "regular" weaves allow to use some solid rings, mixed with jump rings.
You could probably use rope loops instead of jump rings.
E4-1 / Snake Skin, J6-1, Dragon Scale, ....

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks for your suggestions, Shirluban!

Being unfamiliar with the whole field in general and this site's search functionality in particular, I had a hard time finding descriptions of the weaves you suggested, but did so eventually.

The most valuable suggestion was the foxtail rope/chain. I had thought of it before, but revisited the concept and realized that multiple parallell foxtail chains that are crosslinked during weaving might make for an excellent mesh! Smile

Yesterday we made and tested a first version of a tire net, using the weave proposed in my first post (I'll call it "staggered scales", for a common reference term):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OyR8bE4mAhKOIQVq2

A problem with this design, especially prominent when hung diagonally, as in the picture, is caused by the circumferential inelasticity of the tires: the tires at the edges of the net are unable to stretch and therefore can't assume the length that would be necessary to distribute vertical tension evenly across the width of the net. Thus the net sags downwards along the vertical midline. The "crosslinked foxtail" weave would not exhibit this problem.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1