duplicate weaves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 389

duplicate weaves
Posted on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:41 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

jan noticed these two weaves are the same. pythagoras came second, so can someone delete my weave and add it to the gallery under sick chops?

Sick Chops
[weave=Pythagoras 4 in 1 Chain]

Submissions: 389

Posted on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:43 pm

oh, and also update the minimum ar to 3.7

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:08 am

I sent Narrina a PM about this. Good catch and thank you for your honesty.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 97

Posted on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:22 am

Thanks for catching that, Mithril!

I've deleted Pythagoras and edited the AR for Sick Chops, but, unfortunately, there is currently no way to simply move an approved entry from the Weaves to the Gallery. We can transfer a submission prior to approval, but not afterwards. You will need to resubmit Pythagoras to the Gallery in order for it to be tagged to Sick Chops. (Something I would definitely encourage you to do as your photographs as often much better.)

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 am

I came across Pythagoras 4 in 1 and Sick Chops before when playing with the weaves in this thread (http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19484). The different descriptions threw me off, 3 sides vs 5 sides. This time I had a better look at Sick Chops and caught it.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:13 pm || Last edited by Karpeth on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hijacking the thread.

Staggered Half Persian 3-1 Sheet 6-1 and Half Persian 3 in 1 Sheet 6 in 1 (Staggered) are the same, and even have the same weave image and submitter. //EDIT: Linked the wrong weave before. The editors note, in the wrong weave, however, states that it's a duplicate (but so is gsg) Double Backwards HP3-1//

Furthermore; Pacman is Exactly the same as Byzantine Variant. BV has such a low quality image, that it’s easy to miss.

And a Third:
[weave=Half Persian 4 in 1 Unbalanced] and Half Persian 3+1 in 1 are the same. (HP4-1U).

And a fourth; but This is more of a discussion - thing:
Rhinos Snorting Drano and Barrel. One is R1, the other is R2, and they are used interchangeably...

(And a fifth, in the same vein. Captive Inverted Round (Fluctuating) Has an editors note acknowledging that it’s not a weave)

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 574

Posted on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 pm

HP4-1U is being dealt with.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:37 pm || Last edited by Karpeth on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

That’s 1 down, four to go.

And two more.

Half Persian 2+3 in 1 and Half Persian 5 in 1 are the same. (HP5-1;2:3)

Japanese 8 / 4 in 1 and Hodo are the same, according to submitter description of the first one.

(And another debateable; Ladder is a single AR, fully reduced Helm Chain?)

(And even more debateable; Tower of Scales is just [Half Persian 4 in 1].)

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Karpeth you know you can make links to the weaves in the thread by using the code [weave=name] eh. might save you and i some time finding them by number.

Posted on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:43 am

I was lazy and have now fixed the posts.

Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Update:

I found the following in the library, and I'd like to point out a few things:
Ruby's Byz - Mandala I
Ruby's Byz - Mandala II
Byzantine Ringmaille

Mandala I and Mandala II can be fully described as eachother, with a 90* turn of the whole segment; and as such are duplicates.

If you define byzantine as bolted box segments, the following will describe all.

The weave can be broken down to two repeating elements; two bolted box segments with [1 OR 3] bolts, and the large rings, connecting these byzantine segments.

The large rings, connects four rings. [horizontally/vertically], they connect the byzantine segments, as if they were classical byzantine bolts. orthogonally to these, the ring "grabs" the "wings" of byzantine segments placed peripendicular to the first ones. the peripendicular units are placed offset by half the length of the original units.

While the description can be "complex", the fact that it describes all three, makes them duplicate.

Posted on Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 pm || Last edited by Karpeth on Thu May 03, 2018 9:07 am; edited 3 times in total

EDIT: disregard most of This post.

And more:

Double Half Persian 6 in 1 Sheet & Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1 seem to be the same weave.

DHP6-1S is otherwise incorrect in both image and AR data. (and also in description.)

Trying to make a DHP6-1S at an AR of 8.4 proved me two things; It has a different surface than the image, and it is extremely tight at 8.4. Please prove me wrong.

(And I was wondering, Half Persian 3 in 1 Column seem to be like Hilt Chain, but I can't be sure. The image for HP3-1C is too low quality for me to be sure.)

And I was surprised to find this one:
Japanese 3 in 1 Supported is the same as NT3 (Not Tao 3) Web

And More:

Dense Byzantine Sheet is just True Byzantine Sheet

Origami is just one ring from Celtic Visions.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed May 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Karpeth wrote:
Dense Byzantine Sheet is just Dense Byzantine Sheet

Sleep might be in order.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Karpeth wrote:
Dense Byzantine Sheet is just Dense Byzantine Sheet

Sleep might be in order.

I guess.

However, this was a copy error I didn't catch. It's true vs dense.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Thu May 03, 2018 2:37 am

Karpeth wrote:
However, this was a copy error I didn't catch. It's true vs dense.

While the difference is tiny, there is one between Dense Byzantine Sheet and True Byzantine Sheet... The difference was pretty clearly described right in the description of Dense Byzantine Sheet.

Double Half Persian 6 in 1 Sheet's description seems misleading. The AR doesn't match the description at all for feasibility (smaller AR than the min AR base weave that it turns into a sheet). Nonetheless, the image supports that the grain is being pulled differently from Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1.

Japanese 3 in 1 Supported is not based on Not Tao 3. Instead, it has both handedness of the "Not Tao" spiraling rings. As such, different from NT3 (Not Tao 3) Web.

This list that you're generating is getting more and more on the lines of "this weave is too similar to this other weave" than "the weave is a direct duplicate".
I'm rather surprised you haven't listed these:
Japanese 4 in 1 Paired Orbital Square Sheet is just Japanese 4 in 1 Paired Orbital Chain, which is just 4-sided TricyclePenguins.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 6. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next