Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 3rd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Gosh, I've been here for like at least a week now and I never introduced myself. Oops.
Well, better late than never.
I'm Ash, I'm from California, and I discovered chainmail... I guess about 3 years ago? Right at the end of 2015. Back then I kinda just bought myself about 1000 stainless steel rings to go crazy with, I never made anything big (or anything small, either. I kinda just made a patch of euro 4in1 and carried it around with me). Then I took a break for like 3 years, and I just got back into it earlier this month. I have aspergers, and my symptoms tend to show a lot more when I'm stressed, so honestly I think I'm just developing a geniune special interest for chainmail due to the stress of finals week, haha ^-^'
Anyways, I'm working on a coiling rig right now so I can make my own rings (I just need to figure out how to drill a hole through my steel mandrel, so I can put the wire through there to hold it still... Or find some other way to hold it still; I guess it doesn't matter THAT much what method I use.), and I think scalemail is my fav weave right now!! I have a really cool little peice of it I made with dark annealed steel, and red brass in between; its probably the most badas thing I own lol.
So anyways, yeah, that's who I am! Nice to meet you all!

Posted on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:16 am

Hi everybody!!
I'm Sporkalot, another maille weaver.

I started out when I was 12 y/o with a homemade little machine made by my then stepfather to turn 14ga galvanized steel wire into coils. I would then destroy my hands by cutting them into rings one by one with an absolutely inadequate cutter. Later on, I upgraded to aviator snips which worked marvellously. I never did finish the biggest project of all, but I did complete a massive 4-in-1 European chain coif! It seems pretty indestructible, and I'm super proud of it, but MY GOD it took sooo much effort and has randomly rusted... never mind the cost of the countless spools of wire required!

In the last 4 years I've been a hobbyist at best and creating jewellery after finding TRL which is in Canada, like me.
I'm hoping to sell some stuff on Etsy, because everyone in my life seems to really love what I make, and I've been giving stuff of all kinds out for Christmases for years.
Please don't tell me it's not gonna be worth it - I know it's probably not Smile

I had an account on mailleartisans but did not manage to recover it.
So, here I am, your new friend, Sir Sporkalot. Smile

P.S. I have a dream of adding beads to some weaves, a very standard 4-1 bead-friendly chain, and perhaps more importantly, the box chain.
I mostly use 4.7 AR 18ga rings, because those rings were very versatile and workable. Can't afford to have many colours in many sizes, so...

Hullo thar

New and in need of help
Posted on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:14 am

Hi, I’m Tracy from South Carolina, Other than chainmaille, I like to make regular jewelry, mostly earrings, I paint abstracts, and I run 4 online stores.
I’ve been doing chainmaille off and on for a few years now. I like the intricate details. I don’t know why, but it’s something that keeps me focused, nothing else does.
I do have a problem tho, I learned by doing things on the Weave Got Maille site where everything is 3.5, 4.0, 5.5 , and so , the weaves here are all Greek to me. How do I figure out what each number means so I get the right rings.
Thanks, looking forward to years of being a member here, Razz Tracy

New
Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:36 am

Hello!

My name is Derek and other than Maille I am a musician and compose and perform. I did many types of weaving and crocheting type crafts before I found maille, including crochet, paracord weaving, knitting, and braiding. I make my own rings for messing around with and buy for fine jewelry.

I use maille as a catharsis beyond my music and I am addicted to it.

My wife and I also create pyrography and some wood furniture.

Just now getting into the network behind the chain nets!

§ Wolf and Fleeman §

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 am

Welcome, Tracykat.
Sounds like we may have to separate your overall question into pieces.

So, trying to take it a little at a time, are you familiar with the Aspect Ratio numbers?
This is a ten-dollar phrase for a fifty-cent idea, but what aspect ratio, or AR, is is the ratio of the link's inner diameter, or ID, divided by the measured wire diameter, so ID/WD. This directly measures how dense your mail is. At very small AR's, Euro 4-1 weave becomes stiff, a sheet of it more bending than folding. Some decorative weaves, like for certain chains and for dragonscale sheet, have a minimum and a maximum link AR for which they will actually work and can be woven.

The numbers "3.5, 4.0, 5.5" look like link aspect ratios.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:42 am

Welcome, Tracykat.

So, trying to take it a little at a time, are you familiar with the Aspect Ratio numbers?
This is a ten-dollar phrase for a fifty-cent idea, but what aspect ratio, or AR, is is the ratio of the link's inner diameter, or ID, divided by the measured wire diameter, so ID/WD. This directly measures how dense your mail is. At very small AR's, Euro 4-1 weave becomes stiff, a sheet of it more bending than folding. Some decorative weaves, like for certain chains and for dragonscale sheet, have a minimum and a maximum link AR for which they will actually work and can be woven.

Posted on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:51 am

Welcome, Tracykat.

newbie here
Posted on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi all. I'm new here and excited to have found a maille community. Hoping all is well with everyone, and that I can pick up some tips and tricks. Currently working on a Dragon scale weave and considering sewing onto leather to help hold the weight. Thoughts? Thank you

Posted on Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi! I'm Just a goldsmithing student from Iceland. Looking forward to learning from this forum and website!

Happy holidays to all!

Posted on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:07 am

Welcome and well come this Christmastide, StebbiM!

For jewelry, silver-soldered silver wire links are excellent, as is soldered gold wire in the 10-14kt class.

Posted on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Cool site, looking forward to learning a new craft to incorporate into my non conventional leather work, I am into the Renaissance and steampunk stuff its cool and sells pretty well at the venues.

Posted on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:05 am

Hello! My name is Karin and I'm from Southern Mississippi. I got into chainmaille because I think it's pretty stinking cool and we had an enormous pile of copper wire. After years of my husband encouraging me to find a hobby, I think I've finally found it. I showed them to several experienced people in the jewelry making trade and received great encouragement. I hope to gain some knowledge and inspiration!

Posted on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:13 am

My name is Brad and my primary purpose for being here is to learn to make chainmail jewelry for myself. I really don't have any idea what I am doing but I have seen some really awesome weaves with which I would like to experiment. I was inspired by a piece i bought from Grimfrost called the King chain but it isn't quite large enough for my taste so I would like to have a try at making a larger one on my own. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start I will take them.

Posted on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:55 am

Welcome and well come, Bradbarian.

Is it any of these?
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=7560
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=5560
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=1471
Poor focus on that third one, unfortunately (auto focusers can have problems dealing with very reflective objects). Its description may be more helpful.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:55 pm

Byzantine is sometimes called kings?

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Jump to:  
Page 6 of 10. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next