Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 3rd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 106

Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 3rd)
Posted on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

MailArtisans wrote:
This thread is intended as an area for new members to introduce themselves.
Click "Post Reply" in the Upper Right hand corner, and say hi! Very Happy

Consider telling us about you, where you're from, what your interests are... And of course, feel free to nose around the rest of the fourms Wink

Quote:
This is the second thread for New Members to post in... After the explosion of:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=6743
On September 1st, 2010.... It had been alive since March 11th, 2006... May it rest in peace...

And may this thread not explode like that one did.

Continuation of the above threads.
Feel free to introduce yourself here. Or if you are feeling especially adventurous, just start a post in one of the discussion forums! We won't bite... mostly... Very Happy

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Can't resist the temptation to be at the top of this one. Welcome to all the new maillers who follow! I hope I can be of service answering your questions in "Part the Third"!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Oh hai there

I'm Leo, us born and raised. I've been interested in metalworking in general since highschool (class of 2008.) attended college for welding/pipefitting, then joined the army instead of playing with pipe for a living.

Read a book or two on blacksmithing, never attempted.

Picked up Maille about a month ago, haven't tried much, 4 in 1, 8in 2, made one full Persian keychain, and some baubles without a pattern. Then jumped into making myself a chain shirt from a combination of 8 in 2, and :undecided: Which I'll eventually upload pictures of.

Idk, not great at introductions

Introduction
Posted on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 am

Hi. I’m new to the site and to Maille.

After buying beginners Maille kits as gifts for a couple of friends over the years I decided it was finally my turn to jump in. I’m now halfway through slowly weaving my first necklace.

Unfortunately my hobby time is few and far between. When I do find it I split it between knitting, sketching and learning to paint miniatures.

I look forward to reading all your advice and tips.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Welcome everyone! I look forward to seeing all that you have to display and help you grow where you feel you have quesitons.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

New and not new
Posted on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:15 am

I had joined about 7 years ago, then life happened. Now I have returned, yay!
Fell in love with chainmaille after my first visit to a Renfaire. A fellow college student, and an artisan, taught me euro 4-1 at that time. Have since been through many lives, one of which was jousting at Renfairs (full armor, full contact), and my fellow female knight, against whom I jousted, is also a chainmail and armor artisan and vendor.
I also have an artist friend who does Irish & Celtic shows, and I recently offered to do some small chainmaille items (ie earrings, etc.) for him to sell. Needless to say, I have now gotten way out of hand, and am doing more stuff (ie dragons and such, and taking them to work for them to guard my desk)) to the point where my work colleagues think the stuff is cool and want to purchase some of my work! Surprised

"The only consistent thing in this world is inconsistency"

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:07 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to this whole thing. I have gotten it into my head that I want to make scale maille out of flat bottle caps. So far I have about 1,000 caps flattened and holes punched in them. now I just need to get pliers and rings to start the madness!

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Welcome and please post pictures when you are working on things. It sounds like an interesting project you have in mind.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Well, it's been a minute
Posted on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:35 pm

I'm not even sure when I last logged on, but hi again. I haven't done any weaving in about 3 years or so. Time to get back to it. A lot has been happening in the Maille World it seems while I've been away. Lots of catching up to do. Looking forward to it.

-Rod

Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R4.4 Ef Fe4.1 MRb W$ C$ G0.8-1.6 I2.4-13 N9.6 Pc Dcjs Xg12 S10

Happy to add a MAIL badge if someone wants to make it.

Posted on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 pm

Hi All,

New to chainmaille and running though the beginner weaves right now.

Submissions: 1

Hello
Posted on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 am

Hello, everyone. My name is Luna and, while I'm new to the site, I'm not new to chain maille. I've been weaving for around 5 years, now. A friend of mine convinced me to join the M.A.I.L. community so here I am! While I make, and sell, predominately jewelry, I am branching out into other styles. I hope to learn from everyone here and constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Also, are we allowed to post pictures with our comments in this thread?

Posted on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 am

Welcome and well come!
You could insert pix: host them somewhere and link them in here. Some satisfy themselves with links, others import the images into here. Never attempted it myself.

I am probably of some use for tips on making armor pieces: shirts of every type, independent sleeves of mail, voiders for use with plate harness, coifs, camails, standards-of-mail. Mail chausses, perhaps not so much. All of these are Search-buttonable onsite here. You've noticed we have a site Library, from which we can proceed to articles and picture gallery, etcetera. Tutes for weaves as well as pieces. Also such skills as appertain to multi-kilolink armoring mail projects, such as fast link cutting. Well, comparatively fast -- as hand cutting goes. Truly fast link cutting by any standard features light-industrial machinery and there is some of that around.

I don't even appear in the Facebook groups yet.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 am

Hey everybody, my name is Takanuva. I got maille supplies about a year or so or more for my birthday, but never really picked it up too much. I practiced weaves, contractions, expansions, etc, but I never really had the fortitude to start making a piece of actual armor. I started back up about December or so, sketched up some plans, did some math, and calculated how many rings and scales I'd need. And so in January my order of supplies (roughly 1200 blue large anodized scales, and 6000 rings, plus the couple hundred I had lying around), and got started.

So I've only been weaving hard for 2-3 months now, and have been in love with it. I'm making a hybrid scale/maille shirt right now, and I'll be getting the black and frost colored scales for my inlay designs in the next week or two. I just need to make the shoulders, chest, and back of my armor when that arrives, and then start weaving the maille that connects the thighs, stomach, and back of the haubergon with the chest. Then after this, I'll need to make a stand for it, a gambeson, cape, and pants.

I guess now that I'm done geeking about my current project, I can talk a bit about some other stuff about me. My entire life, I've been entranced with medieval history and fantasy. Knights, armor, castles, princesses, the works. I picked up mailleing because I thought it'd be really cool to start learning how to make armor, because I want to wear armor. I'm wanting to design and produce fantasy pieces, not unlike that of the costume design work of series like Lord of the Rings, among others. I came here from The Ring Lord forums, after posting for weaving technique advice on my haubergon there.

[b]"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer."[b]

Hello
Posted on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm new to weaving maille. Currently because of funds I'm getting most of my supplies from home improvement stores and hobby lobby. I'm open to any tips and advice the community can give. Thanks

Posted on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:00 am

Takanuva wrote:
Hey everybody, my name is Takanuva. . . .

My entire life, I've been entranced with medieval history and fantasy. Knights, armor, castles, princesses, the works. I picked up mailleing because I thought it'd be really cool to start learning how to make armor, because I want to wear armor. I'm wanting to design and produce fantasy pieces, not unlike that of the costume design work of series like Lord of the Rings, among others. I came here from The Ring Lord forums, after posting for weaving technique advice on my haubergon there.

Welcome and well come. You're starting off better than some, in knowing what a haburgeon is (there are a couple variant spellings of the word).

LOTR stuff was designed with function in mind, and the result came out like late fourteenth century from another world, especially the swords and armor of Men.

In re making and toting arms & armor: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/index.php. You'll see me over there too.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 4. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next