Chainmaile dice bag suggestions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Chainmaile dice bag suggestions
Posted on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

hi first time poster, even first time mailer (guess thats rigth), i even have a bunch of 1/4 16 gauge rings coming from ebay. i have a quick question about making dice bags. i have a bunch of 375 ml crown royal bags i want to use to make chainmail dice bags. im referencing this topic

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=170

i think i can figure out most of it its using the europeon 4in1 method my question is how to use the crown royal bag in it. ive found several etsy bags for sale and it looks like they simply close the top ring into the top of the bag. here

https://www.etsy.com/listing/239874281/gamer?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=chainmail%20dice%20bag&ref=sc_gallery_6&plkey=d564fbafac7f2286d69a293b0d3b61e6ffbbad52:239874281

i did attempt to google crown royal and chainmail dice bag but couldnt find any articles. i searched on your forum some but couldnt find any examples. if someone has any info and could point me in the right direction or does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance for any help
heath delashmit

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:11 pm

Check your local craft store for an eyelet punch like so:

And carefully measure the distance between your rings when fully extended, then punch the holes and apply the eyelets. You don't need to use every ring; every other or fewer is fine. Try to find 2-piece eyelets if you can so they don't pull through as easily. However, also bear in mind that the measurement may not come out exactly even and that potentially if it does come out evenly on the Crown bag your total number of rings around the piece needs to be divisible in such a way as to allow you to contract the bottom evenly.

Additionally, for your first project you can expect your ring closures to be less than perfect and they will likely shred the cloth very quickly. 16 swg, 1/4" makes a fairly quick bag so I would recommend making one without the lining to get a feel for it, then make a new one (or adjust if the first was close enough) to include the Crown bag.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 pm

I love your eyelet punch idea Slagr! I would have just put a hole in the bag and hoped it didn't rip. I love the SMART people on this site!

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 pm

thanks so much for the reply. if i am understanding you once i have the chainmail bag made i place the crown royal bag inside it and punch holes or mark where to punch holes through it dependant upon where the opening of the rings for the drawstring are on the chainmail bag? i than put the eyelets in there through the chainmail ring and through the crown royal bag? so in the case of where i bought 1/4 id rings i get eyelets that are 1/4 od so they go through the jump rings?

these are the rings i bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000-1-4-16g-Bright-Aluminum-JUMP-RINGS-SAW-CUT-Chainmail-chain-mail-maille-/121819503702?epid=16002805390&hash=item1c5d021c56:g:F3oAAOSwSzRZTzyg

hopefully those were correct otherwise i have alot to practice with lol

Submissions: 39

Posted on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I would say get eyelets that are just a little bigger than your wire diameter not your ring diameter. Than you can put the eyelets in the bag and thread the ring through the eyelet as if it was another ring. The eyelet just provides the hole in the bag so that it does not rip, similar to the eyelets in tennis shoes.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:51 am

Though you also want not to force the link to stand perpendicular to the bag fabric, but lie the way the mail linkrow does, for smoothness. So a larger eyelet seems what's wanted.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:50 pm

so i have been following this e4in1 guide. im going great except when it comes to joining the 2 strands together (steps 8 and 9) is there a some sort of secret or some different ways to make it easier in joining them together. mayby something that since most of you have been doing it for awhile you can share with me.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=185

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:08 am

heathd666 wrote:
so i have been following this e4in1 guide. im going great except when it comes to joining the 2 strands together (steps 8 and 9) is there a some sort of secret or some different ways to make it easier in joining them together. mayby something that since most of you have been doing it for awhile you can share with me.

I'm not a fan of that particular method for a number of reasons, the main one being that it can be hard to join two strips if the ring AR is fairly low like yours are. You might be better off simply adding rows to one strip rather than trying to tie multiple strips together.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 am

heathd666 wrote:
so i have been following this e4in1 guide. im going great except when it comes to joining the 2 strands together (steps 8 and 9) is there a some sort of secret . . .

It only works if the two linkrows at the edges you are joining both angle in the same direction, as shown in the Step 8 and 9 illos. Look close if you haven't seen it that way already.
Try flipping one of the chains over to get the links to either side lying the same. Naturally, the link zipping the two strips together will angle in the opposite direction, just as the center link in each strip does.

While there's something to what Slagr says generally, your AR of 4 isn't that tight. How I sidestep the matter by my weaving method is detailed in my "Hauberks for First-Timers" article in Library: Articles: Armour. I stick on two links at a time to one edge, thereby building on two rows (or two columns) at a stroke. I'm not sure it really adds up to weaving faster, but it feels good. Coif Smiley

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1