Weaves for Wings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Weaves for Wings
Posted on Tue May 30, 2017 2:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I want to make a few animal sculptures, and was wondering if y'all would be willing to give me some advice. I want to make birds, bats, dragons, etc. I just don't know how to make sturdy wings. I know that I could use Euro 4-1 or 6-1, but those are too flexible. Are there any weaves that might be a good match?

Submissions: 30

Posted on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:15 am

Weave flexibility is usually more dependent on the AR of the rings rather than the weave, although that also plays a factor. Here is a chart showing, among other info, the structural ARs for a variety of weaves. If you make these weaves with those structural sizes you should see little to no flexibility.

http://www.chainmailbasket.com/weaves.html

For wings I would personally use Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1 with 20 awg, 5/32" or 16 swg, 5/16" depending on the relative size of your sculptures. This will have a little flexibility in only one direction but practically none in any other direction. You may need to trim the wings with something else, berus possibly, to tighten them up further.

Thematically the Persian family is best suited to wings in my opinion because the angular structure feels more aerodynamic than something more square or round. This is just personal preference though.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:45 am

I've used Captive Zen Sheet Full for my hummingbird sculpture. Very easy to manipulate the flexibility using ring sizes.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Very Happy Thank you. You both have given me a great starting place. I look forward to trying this out. Needlenose Pliers Cutters

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Half-Persian 5 in 1 has an unusual curling quality which might look good for wings. It also can be made left and right handed, so the curl would be mirror image on each side. Coif Smiley

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1