JPL6 Alternating Skip
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 8

JPL6 Alternating Skip
Posted on Mon May 22, 2017 10:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

What I probably should have started with in my previous thread about even JPLs is showing what you get when you try to make an even JPL in 3d software. A rotational step (RStep?) of 60 degrees for JPL6 results in this:

In my previous thread I tried to overcome the intersecting by rotating every 4th, 5th and 6th ring and by using a lateral offset. The first method didn't proof to be a good idea, the second method led to interesting new weaves.

With that in mind I started thinking about Joshua's JPL6. Not so much his weave, looks fine despite the inconsistent skip, but more his idea for a workaround of a double alternating lean, which is great.

To get a consistent spiral with a double alternating lean I figured I would need to split the spiral (pictured above) in half by seperating the even and uneven rings. Then for each rotational step I could rotate the even rings clockwise or counter clockwise. Not counting the mirrored versions this resulted in four variants. To make it easier to understand I used steel for the uneven rings and bronze for the even rings.

Basically these spirals have a consistent alternating skip. Personally I think any workaround to make an even JPL breaks the JPL rules and should be named differently. So I will need to come up with a suitable name for these spirals.

It may take a while before I make these weaves because I still have to try the ones from the other thread. I do expect that each one of these four variants can be made. The method I used doesn't work for JPL4 but it should work for higher even JPLs.

Posted on Wed May 31, 2017 7:33 pm

Here's a sample of the third variant:

By flipping the lean of the even rings I found 4 more variants Laughing

Posted on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:42 pm

The flipped variants:

For the RStep1 variants the flipped versions are more dense.

I've come up with the name Twin Spiral 6 for them. Perhaps some code to differentiate the weaves. I could use a 3 digit code to indiciate RStep1/RStep2, Up/Down and Flipped/Non-Flipped or find out the alternating ring skip pattern for each variant.

Posted on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:09 pm

So much for 8 different variants. I made the first flipped variant and it seemed very similar to the second variant. I checked all the variants in my 3d software and there are only 3 unique variants. The others are either duplicates or mirrored versions.

Posted on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Here's a sample of the first variant:

This one is not as balanced as the first sample I made. It needs rings with an higher AR than I used, it's a bit tight. Still, it looks interesting.

I also started on the fourth variant but the AR of the rings I used was too high.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1