Discovering New Weaves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 378

Discovering New Weaves
Posted on Tue May 16, 2017 10:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I recently tried Windmill and it got me thinking about chain weave cross sections. Chain weave cross sections are circular, triangular, square, rectangle, rhomboid, pentagonal, etc. A cross section is the shape a chain has if one looks at the end of the chain along the length. Windmill almost has a symmetrical concave triangular cross section like the shape of a "Y." But, it's only the same on 2 sides, not 3. So, I went through my weave library and mentally started taking inventory of all the different cross section shapes. There is a lot square and rectangle cross sections. Some triangular cross sections, some rhomboid, some trapezoidal, some pentagon, but no concave triangular cross sections like a "Y." I set out to experiment off of my Windmill sample with the intention of creating a specific "Y" shape cross section. and in one day 3 new weaves were born. I'm wondering if more weaves can be discovered simply by looking at what cross section shapes are not well represented in the weave library? All of these have been submitted to the library:

Imperial Shuttle 4 in 1 Chain:

Lila 6 in 1 Chain:

Sutra 4 in 1 Chain:

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Interesting patterns, I wouldn't have thought about exploring Windmill. Looking for certain cross sections may indeed lead to more new weaves.

Last week I accidently stumbled upon a new offset spiral weave with a pentagram cross section (JPL5 10-1). In theory it could have been found starting with a pentagram.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1