Open JPLs
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 8

Open JPLs
Posted on Wed May 03, 2017 10:01 pm || Last edited by JanPieter on Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Even JPLs can be done by adding rings that go through the previous rings but one. This is done by using a lateral offset from the rotation axis. This is how I found X-Spiral. So if that works for even JPLs then going through the previous rings but two should work for uneven JPLs.

I took JPL5 and just started increasing the offset until the rings were going through 4 rings, with the end rings going through 2.

It's rendered with an AR of 6.3.

I did the same for JPL7

This one is rendered with an AR of 7.8.

The ARs for the real versions might be lower. Have these been done before? Not sure yet if these will work but I thought it would be fun to share Smile

Submissions: 378

Posted on Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 am

i've not seen them before.

Posted on Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 am

Ok, great Smile

After making these I checked for variants, 2 of them look very interesting.

JPL5 4-1 Skip 2 (AR=4.6)

JPL7 8-1 Skip 2 (AR=9.2)

JPL7 8-1 Skip 3 (AR=6.2)

P.s.
Because of the offset all these weaves have a small pinhole opening if you look in from the ends. I still need to come up with a name for them.

Submissions: 378

Posted on Thu May 04, 2017 7:34 pm

cool! you are on a role.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Fri May 05, 2017 6:22 pm

I really like the JPL5 4-1 Skip 2 and JPL7 8-1 Skip 3. They appear to have a symmetry that I've found lacking in all my attempts at even JPLs. They remind me of Full Persian Grizzly, but spirally. It's been a long while, but I think I'm need to pull out my pliers and rings again.

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri May 05, 2017 7:04 pm

JPL 5 4-1 skip 2 is very handsome. Looks like a nice jewelry weave. How flexible is it? Have you made a physical sample? Cutters

Posted on Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks, Joshua.

Zlosk, I really like them too. I was happily surprised there was so much open space when I made the arrays allowing me to beef up the rings. JPL7 8-1 Skip 3 looks a lot like JPL3 btw. That makes me think JPL9 12-1 has variants that look like JPL5 and JPL5 Ropage. I assume the ARs will be out of my reach, unfortunately.

There's also JPL7 4-1, JPL6 4-1, JPL8 8-1 and JPL8 4-1 to explore.

My final attempt at JPL6 came out well, I turned the sample into a necklace.

I came up with a few names for this line of spirals but I haven't settled on one yet: Pinhole Spiral, Foramen, Fenestra (Chain), O-Spiral. I like Fenestra but that name is already being used for other jewelry.

Pfeiffer, I haven't tried to make them yet for real. I hope to have time for it next week.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 23, 2017 3:06 am

The thing I don't like about even-numbered JPLs is the asymmetry. I'm just a symmetry-loving gal. But I like your versions, JanPieter!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am || Last edited by JanPieter on Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Thanks Lorraine. Symmetry is what I'm after.

I've started on JPL5 4-1 Skip 2 with an AR of 4.6. It didn't lock but if I compressed the sample I saw the weave. I then tried it with an AR of 4.1 and recognized the weave as Joshua's [weave=Pythagoras 4 in 1 Chain]. It will not AR lock even with lower ARs, I tried 3.6 Sad

I suspect this means that JPL7 8-1 Skip 3 is the progression of Pythagoras 4 in 1 Chain and will not AR lock as well. Which is unfortunate because it looks so pretty Sad

V-Spiral 7 (AR=5.7)

I had a quick look at JPL9 12-1 Skip 4 and that does seem like it would AR lock but alas it's just above my AR range.

V-Spiral 9 (AR=8.4)

Edit:
I've renamed the two new spirals to V-Spiral.

Posted on Thu May 25, 2017 9:24 pm

V-Spiral 7 sample:

The weave is a bit stiff but with some wiggling it does bend around my finger. These rings have an AR of 5.2. The start is a bit tricky but 7-8 rings in it should be easy enough to continue the pattern.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1