Hello from UK
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Hello from UK
Posted on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:41 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi there,

I am trying to make rivetted maille. I have read lots of articles but am confused as to what mild steel thickness I need to buy. I read a lot of people say 16 gauge but since I live in the UK I do not know what that is in millimetres. Can anyone tell me what size wire I should be trying to buy?

Thanks

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 am

http://www.cadceptual.co.uk/images/uploaded/guides/awg-swg-tables-download-original.pdf

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Hello Dean, Welcome!

Many people who make riveted mail use rebar tie wire, which is soft annealed steel, commonly available, and cheap. Google search "rebar tie wire" to see a picture of a roll. In the US, you can get that in any hardware store for about $10US per roll. There certainly must be a similar product in the UK, since you have reinforced concrete there too.

Regarding gauge, it is the most antiquated and confusing word. We ought to stop using it at all. However, for steel, "16 gauge" generally means 1/16th inch (thickness or diameter). In the US, rebar wire is typically 1/16th inch diameter.

Whatever size wire they use for rebar in the UK, that is what you should use. It will probably be close to 1/16th inch diameter.

Good luck, and let us know how it is coming along! Cutters

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Here, try this: http://www.simply-precast.co.uk/acatalog/Tying_Wire.html

3rd item down, 16 guage, soft annealed steel. That's about as inexpensive as it gets, other than digging through dumpsters at construction sites.

15 kg coil will keep you busy for a while. Go for it! Cutters Cutters Cutters

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Thankyou Pfeiffer,

That is really useful. I phoned them and they are gonna sort me some to buy. Thanks, helped a lot knowing what to ask for. Just waiting for some tools to be sorted and I can begin. Thanks very much.

Dean

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:41 am

Been a lot of that this month in the UK; see Blacksmith101's thread for his similar troubles re wire supply. (atm he is looking for galvy, in quantity, and nobody seems quite to believe anyone could want that much galvy all at one whack, at bulk pricing. Like, affordable?)

I suggested he might unlay 1x19 galvy cable. I've done such with 7-wire cable. Wiggly wire comes out, but it's workable, just tempered hard as hell as wire goes.

Seems suitable galvy wire is called "strain wire" in the UK wire-fence trade.

Anyway, that 16 gauge stuff is intended to be .0631" Imperial, 1.6mm metric. 18 gauge, a most excellent thickness for mail work, lands right about .048". Right close to 1mm wire, I think? (not going to efunda dot something and running the conversion) Very good weight of wire to schlep around the field in. 1.6mm runs strong but fairly heavy, being that much thicker, and so is best suited for special-area use or very exposed bits of you. Something like a 14th-c. bascinet's camail, covering the points of your shoulders and armoring that very vital neck is a good employment for such stout mail -- high strength and not too much area total.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:19 am

I just found Eazi-Wire in the UK for Blacksmith101 in aiding his quest for galvy wire. Getting wire in quantities like this company provides seems the road to take, though I am not sure whether they have ungalvanised annealed rebar tie wire.
http://www.uniwire.co.uk/eazi-wire-and-plain-fencing-wire/plain-fencing-wire

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1