Byzantine chain by other names?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Byzantine chain by other names?
Posted on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:53 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have recently posted a photo with description on another site with a caption calling the Byzantine chain a King's Chain. I also used the hash tag of Byzantine, being it's proper name. There are many other names it goes by and King's Braid is one also. I have seen it many places and even typed in search engines as King's Chain. Many Web sites call the Byzantine chain a King's Chain hence why I have called it both.
I was lightly scolded by a lady calling herself a maille artisan and that I was wrong to call the weave a King's Chain and that people should not mislead others with false information on weave names. Not that this changes how I will post my information due to so many craftsman in the Norse circles calling it a King's Chain, I would like to know if I and others have been mislead in calling the Byzantine also by the name of King's Chain? I know the difference in a Byzantine and a King's weave or King's Maille, Byzantine being a chain to start and King's Maille being sheeting. Thank you!

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:30 am

There is no definitive Naming Authority for weaves, only social conventions and (usually, hopefully) mutual respect between artists.

When dealing with potential customers, use the names that get you sales.
When dealing with fellow artists, use the names that convey respect for the contributions of others and facilitate mutual understanding of the subject matter.

If you can achieve those goals while referring to a weave as Florblgarble, then more power to you.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm

I like Tedronai's post above - well said.

More than other weaves, Byzantine seems to collect many names. Although, I have never heard "Kings Weave" or "Kings Braid" referring to Byzantine.

Actually, the mainstream jewelry companies have latched on to Byzantine lately (and they call it Byzantine). So, IMHO, that is the most common and recognizable name for the weave. http://www.inox-us.com/gallery:bracelets/BR9240
(Zoom in to see the cuts and closures...'nuf said.)

Once you make it, that particular one is your art (or craft). So feel free to call it whatever you want - even "Florblgarble". Cutters

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:23 am

If you look at the Byzantine weave page, you will see many "aka" names. Kinging a weave usually means you have doubled at least some of the rings. But *shrug*, as long as people are interested in maille, I don't really care what you call the weave. Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:56 pm

lorraine wrote:
If you look at the Byzantine weave page, you will see many "aka" names. Kinging a weave usually means you have doubled at least some of the rings. But *shrug*, as long as people are interested in maille, I don't really care what you call the weave. Very Happy

Clearly, that's a reference to the doubled connector rings between the box chain units. Or just someone's attempt to make their work sell. Definitely one of those two. Probably. Unless it's something else.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 am

King's Chain gets 16.4 million hits in Google and Byzantine only 5.45 million hits. They're not all referring to the weave in question but obviously King's Chain is the more popular name. So were you mislead, I think not.

Now about that lady, she needs to drop her attitude. I hope you were able to delete or hide her reply. Probably no use argueing with her, waste of time.

I don't know how old Byzantine is but I assume it's not that recent a weave. So no one should be feeling hurt if you call it Byzantine, King's Chain or Florblgarble. Calling relatively new weaves by your own name is a bit frowned upon, but there's no maille police and some names are a bit odd.

I recently saw a link to a lady that renamed Dragonback into Reversible Atomic Kitten Chain Reaction Chain or something. Could you send your lady her way Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1