where to get CHEAP wire? Stumped, please help!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

where to get CHEAP wire? Stumped, please help!
Posted on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've looked everywhere for some cheap galvanised steel wire (under £10) but fo no avail. Everywhere I look, INCLUDING the Ringlord, is too expensive. Plus shipping From the US to here. This has me stumped so now it's up to you people! Coif LoL Please help with this![/b]

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:45 am

I don't know what to tell you. If it's too expensive then maybe use another type of wire? Making chainmaille is not a cheap hobby, by any stretch of the imagination.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 22

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 pm

"under £10"
For how much weight?

£10 would just pay for shipping 1lb (of valueless dirt), IF you order many pounds at once.

I think at local shops around my area, £10 could buy just enough dead-soft galvy to make a small pouch.
With TRL, for the same price I can get the same number of full-temper aluminium already-made rings, shipping included. (If I order much more to save on shipping.)

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:24 pm

The wire annealers who aren't using galvy in the US use MIG welder wire, bought in quantity (~50lb), and process that to remove its springiness.

We get galvy wire out of lumberyards here, far less expensively than from hardware stores' little packages, bought by weight from a bulk coil of the stuff. Such purchases of galvanized wire go towards fence building and such outdoors applications. But the difficulty is that wire fences and even fencing with a significant wire content in their overall makeup seem not to much appear in the U.K.

It would be good to mention the quantity/weight you desire. Also recollect that galvy mail is modern-functional stuff, popular with medievalists and LARPers who want to ease any problems with rust and don't have your concern with historically authentic product.

If you can find fifteen pounds of galvy for ten pounds sterling, you've gotten a good price. Have you done much looking online? Surely someone is selling galvanized wire in Western Europe.

You may end up trolling metal shops for scrap wire, and anybody involved with steel cable. Cable scrap ends can be unlaid to yield considerable length of wire. Just take care to use fine-wire cable and not the really coarse stuff. I've made a bit of mail from that; it was extremely strong because the wire was very hard stuff as wire goes, but the wire was very thick and the links from it were huge.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:50 pm

We meet again Konstantin! Thanks for the help and this time it's not about historical accuracy (just started on the other wire making project) but simply about the mail. I have no idea on the quantity or weight, just enough wire to last a while! I have done a lot of searching on the topic but I can't seem to find what I am looking for-16G galvanised steel wire. I choose galvanised for the same reason as LARPers- to keep away the rust but everywhere is too expensive and when I look in the hardware stores nothing comes to hand... Once again, thanks for the help! You seem to be a very active contributer! And thanks as well to the others! Coif Smiley

Posted on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am

Yes... there are a deuced lot of penny-packet offerings even by mail, aren't there... 20 meter coils, 80 meter coils... often in 1mm dia or 1,2mm dia, or penny packet in 1.6 which is the kind of diameter you want.

And you're looking for something more like 1000 meters in a sale unit; maybe you could manage as little as 500m/unit. They don't seem to believe in retail customers that want wire in more than 20 meter lengths.

But somebody somewhere has to be using galvy wire 1000m at a whack, c'mon now. Are we not asking the right question of our search engines?

Who, if anyone, in or near the UK is manufacturing wire? http://wireropeshop.co.uk/wire-store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_5_49 Wire rope/cable, there. 7x19 strand.

Maybe these people's 6mm dia offering of a 7x7 strand cable: http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/Products/Galvanised-Wire-Rope-7x7-Flexible -- not involved to unlay; wire probably springy, high-tensile stuff. That it is wiggly like some kind of designer pasta doesn't matter since this will disappear with the wire getting wound around the mandrel and cut, likely using boltcutters rather than aviation/sheet metal snips or tinsnips, into galvy-steel cheerios.

In the trade, they seem to name it "galvanised steel straining wire," sold for wire fencing, and while it's often thicker stuff, it's sold in respectable lengths, on reels, and a 1.6 or 1.5 mm edition may possibly be got. Eazi-Wire is the brand?

Something on eBay that might work if shipping is favorable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Galvanised-steel-wire-rope-7x7-or-1x19-1mm-1-2mm-1-5mm-2mm-3mm-catenary-etc-/121152107747 The stuff on the left in the pic looks easiest to deal with; this seems to be called 1x19 wire rope, and that suggests every meter's length of the product equals 19 meters of single wire, only somewhat wiggly upon unlaying. At a guess, is that the price per meter quoted there?

Or sacrifice the galvanisation and pick up a 15 kg reel of suitable diameter MIG welding wire, mild steel. It is I believe lightly copper plated for corrosion resistance, so it will look funny but still work.

LARPers have web pages... any luck inquiring with them about where they get their mail wire?

Posted on Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks Konstantin! Yet again you attempted to solve my troubles to which I thank you! Very Happy There is a problem, though. The sites you mentioned only have ROPE wire and not some solid good wire. However despite that you gave me an excellent lead on LARPers. I shall look into that! And also, just to let you know how valuable your advice is, I have already begun on the project and successfully completed the wire. It is very shoddy and was completely black until I cleaned it but will do the job! I have also created a very basic form of wire drawer from some scrap steel (went to a car boot sale and some weirdo was selling the bonnet of a car Confused ) and a swing. Again it's a bit shoddy to say the least and is based on your medieval source. Once again thanks very much and sorry to trouble you! Coif Smiley

Posted on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:09 pm

This is how I dealt with utilizing wire rope. The thing about wire rope is you can boltcutter a couple meters' segment off of it, and then pick the individual wires out of the segment, just like unlaying a rope. Only stiffer. I've done this and it works. The wire I got was brutal hard and .140" wire diameter. I made enormously coarse links of it. It was so stiff I had to lever it around a mandrel fixed into a vise's jaws. Wear eye protection if you do that; you have a wire end floating in the air in a decreasing helix the whole time.

But that it's cable/wire rope really isn't any problem. Not for prototyping an armour piece. Give it a try.

The springback on that wire I used to make links was ferocious -- more like snapback, as the end of the wire passed through the wire-bending hole drilled through the end of the winding lever, which was hardwood and something like two and a half feet in length.

Thinner wire, however hard and stiff, should give less trouble and need less leverage!

Selling auto parts out of a car boot -- works for me! Which leaves the question of just how weird was the weirdo? Uber (Could he manage to faze a Wal-Martian?)

Posted on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:12 am

Looked up Eazi-Wire. BINGO.

http://www.uniwire.co.uk/eazi-wire-and-plain-fencing-wire/eazi-wire

25kg is about the equivalent of two haburgeons in butted 1.6mm. Or a hauberk and a camail.

And what the company calls "plain fencing wire," too. http://www.uniwire.co.uk/eazi-wire-and-plain-fencing-wire/plain-fencing-wire I guess you email for prices and diameters, as their page only says "various."

Couldn't swear to them coming up with annealed rebar tie-wire. Our side of the salty pond we find that stuff in .0631".

Posted on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:29 am

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/product/sc_321700/25kg-coil-plain-wire-1.60mm-16g-mild-steel-galvanized-approx-1590m.aspx?tpc=AR&fmc=BO&fnc=BI&timber=1

Sixty-five pounds some pence for 25 kg coil? Acceptable?

Posted on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:18 pm

lorraine wrote:
Making chainmaille is not a cheap hobby, by any stretch of the imagination.

Sorry, can't let this one slide.

Maille is cheap, particularly if you're willing to use materials that aren't precious metals. At least, getting started is--you can make it as expensive as you want after that. Two pairs of pliers, a wire cutter of some sort, wire, a mandrel (ie: round object that you can wrap wire around without distorting), and (ideally) a container to put it in are all you need to get started. I got started in this hobby, quite literally, with $20 and a borrowed pair of pliers.

As for where to find materials: Konstantine has covered most of it, so I'll just add a few random thoughts. I've heard galvanized steel called "stone wire" by construction types, if that helps at all. If you're really ambitious, you can buy pin flags--the rods holding the flags are galvy, though thin for armor purposes.

Also, look into drop ceilings. They're held in place by relatively thick galvanized steel wire. It's a beast to wrap and cut, but that's an advantage in some ways, in as much as it's hard to deform once you get it into the shape of a shirt.

Solid-core welding wire is also a good place to look if you just want something to play with. Just be careful that you don't buy flux-cored. A pound of aluminum 0.030" wire costs $15 here in the USA, and it'll keep you occupied for quite a while (stainless costs $50).

The other thing to consider: maille doesn't go bad very fast. If funds are tight, buy what you're comfortable buying (or use what you scrounge up) and get more as you go. Having a part-finished project lying around that you work on every once in a while is more normal than not in this field! Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1