Anodized Aluminum Wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Anodized Aluminum Wire
Posted on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:16 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I apologize if this has been acknowledged in other threads, but I am unable to find the information I think I need.

I work with Anodized Aluminum jump rings. I have been buying in small amounts from a local Bead Store, however I have found that my skill has grown and I now need to make my own jump rings with various gauges and ID's.

When we searched for Anodized Aluminum Wire and made the order for 8 different colored wire spools, we received BEAD WIRE - most definitely NOT what I wanted. We coiled it, cut it and of course this is not going to work - I can move and twist it with my fingers.

What should I be searching for to order rolls of colored anodized aluminum wire?

I have searched and looked and cannot find what I need under any New/Beginner thread OR in any of the books I own (I have 6). I cannot find what I need to purchase or what the type of wire other than"aluminum". So I am now at a loss as to what I need to search for to make wire orders by the roll.

Could someone please enlighten me? I can buy pre-cut rings almost everywhere I have looked, but I would still like to know what I should be looking for vs. what I am finding.

Thank you in advance.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Welcome!

I believe "bead wire" is dead-soft, so you can't do anything with it, indeed.
You'll need to find a seller who specialized in maille, but they would most probably sell finished rings rather than wire.
IMHO, it's better to get already cut rings, especially for anodized Al since coiling can damage the surface.

The Ring Lord use alloy 5356 - H18, and more importantly: ultimate tensile strength at 60ksi.
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopcontent.asp?type=materialsdata

They do sell wire. You can also check the links page here for other seller (who may or may not sell wire):
http://www.mailleartisans.org/lynx/

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Thank you Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1