Hello!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Hello!
Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Newbie here. I trained as a silversmith years ago and opened my shop last year with antique silverware jewellery and restrung vintage beads and pearls. I tried a Byzantine last year and didnt get back into it. Last night I did a full Persian as I am sterling a new Chain Maille line next year. I am extremely pleased with it, if I do say so myself! I want to try the Byzantine again, could anyone tell me which thickness and mm size links I would need to get a close knitted weave please? UK sizes if poss as I still dont get the US sizing.

Thank you peeps! Very Happy

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Wire size and ring diameter combine together to determine Aspect Ratio, which determines whether a weave will be 'close knitted' or not.

For instance, using 1mm wire, a 'close knitted' byzantine might be accomplished with 3.3 or 3.4mm internal diameter rings, while 1.6mm wire would achieve a similar 'close-ness' from 5.3-5.4mm rings

If you check under User Panel > My MAIL > Preferences > Ring Size Preferences, you'll find a series of settings to tell MAIL how you'd like such stats to be displayed, such as in the 'Weave Data' section of Weave Library entries.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 am

Welcome and well come, TheSilverGarden and Roberthicks.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:14 am

Hi TheSIlverGarden! There really is no UK vs. US sizing. Tedronai gave you some excellent information. Let us know what thickness of wire your rings are made of and we can give you a better idea of what inside diameter rings you need. Aspect Ratio is a good thing to know. Beginner Basics should help.Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1