How do you name weaves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

How do you name weaves
Posted on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:45 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I only started learning chainmaille a little over a year ago and tried making a weave that I hadn't yet learned with rings of improper AR from memory. Wound up making a weave that I haven't seen anywhere else online. It is an altered Helm's Chain, but I have no real name for it past "specialty weave" for it. Is there a way to actually name new weaves, or is it just pull names out of a hat?

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:21 am

You can name it analytically if you can recognize its technical structure or you can just give it any name you think sounds right for the weave. I wouldn't call it specialty weave though because that's very non-descriptive. Maybe post a pic and we can suggest names?

Submissions: 96

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 pm

There are two (major) schools of thought when it comes to weave naming: creative names and technical names. They both have their pros and cons.

Some like to keep the names all technical so you know exactly what the weave is. Pros: helpful for understanding weave relation Cons: they tend to get very long, because of this some find them very boring and difficult to remember.

Those that find technical names to long/boring, generally chose the 'creative' name choice. The name may be based on what the weave reminds them of, how much trouble it gave them, their frustration level while making it, the name could be sentimental (named after a family member or pet), etc. Really, the name can be anything you want it to be. Pros: the name tends to be more fun and less clinical; easier to remember and gets your attention more than a long, technical name. Cons: sometimes they can confuse the matter of weave relation. Have more of a risk of being misleading because the name may be too close to an unrelated weave.

You can name a new weave/variant/modification/design anything you want. Just make sure of a few things when you do: 1) before you name something, make sure it doesn't already have a name; 2) make sure the name you want isn't already in use; and 3) that the name is not misleading; don't have the name too close/similar to a weave it is not related to so as to avoid confusion.

Names can be used to connect weave sub-families, so you can always look at the names of the related weaves and give yours a name accordingly. (I use several naming themes based on what weave family/sub-family a weave/variant/modification belongs to, and I know some others do the same when exploring a particular weave structure.)

It might be a good idea to post a pic of what you've made. There are a lot of weaves out there (and not just on MAIL), someone here may be able to help find out if it already has a name, and, if it doesn't, give suggestions if you'd like help naming it.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Amazon Author Page

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:21 pm

I also want to see this weave. May I sudjest the name Jade Dragon Elf Helm?

Posted on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:13 am

Slagr wrote:
You can name it analytically if you can recognize its technical structure or you can just give it any name you think sounds right for the weave. I wouldn't call it specialty weave though because that's very non-descriptive. Maybe post a pic and we can suggest names?

I had used specialty as a place holder ^^; Very non descriptive, yet implies it only is available from me (until I get it somewhere for other maillers to go nuts with) I am posting a link to a picture of the weave below.

Posted on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:15 am

Nárrína wrote:
There are two (major) schools of thought when it comes to weave naming: creative names and technical names. They both have their pros and cons.

Some like to keep the names all technical so you know exactly what the weave is. Pros: helpful for understanding weave relation Cons: they tend to get very long, because of this some find them very boring and difficult to remember.

Those that find technical names to long/boring, generally chose the 'creative' name choice. The name may be based on what the weave reminds them of, how much trouble it gave them, their frustration level while making it, the name could be sentimental (named after a family member or pet), etc. Really, the name can be anything you want it to be. Pros: the name tends to be more fun and less clinical; easier to remember and gets your attention more than a long, technical name. Cons: sometimes they can confuse the matter of weave relation. Have more of a risk of being misleading because the name may be too close to an unrelated weave.

You can name a new weave/variant/modification/design anything you want. Just make sure of a few things when you do: 1) before you name something, make sure it doesn't already have a name; 2) make sure the name you want isn't already in use; and 3) that the name is not misleading; don't have the name too close/similar to a weave it is not related to so as to avoid confusion.

Names can be used to connect weave sub-families, so you can always look at the names of the related weaves and give yours a name accordingly. (I use several naming themes based on what weave family/sub-family a weave/variant/modification belongs to, and I know some others do the same when exploring a particular weave structure.)

It might be a good idea to post a pic of what you've made. There are a lot of weaves out there (and not just on MAIL), someone here may be able to help find out if it already has a name, and, if it doesn't, give suggestions if you'd like help naming it.

It may be rude to gush, but oh my gosh I love how you broke that down. I will be posting a link to the image of the weave below (still unsure which images are the right size for the site)

Posted on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:16 am

djgm wrote:
I also want to see this weave. May I sudjest the name Jade Dragon Elf Helm?

I love that name, but it kind of sounds like a cross between dragonscale and elfweave (I would cry making that I am sure). I will post a link to the image of the weave below.

Image of the Weave in Question
Posted on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:24 am

Example 1

This is what I have called my specialty weave (I am still tweaking the design itself as it can stick some times but always goes back to proper flow). I will also post the link to the other 2 examples I have of it.

Example 2
Example 3

The bottom layer is 2 18 SWG 1/4" rings with a layer of 16 SWG 1/4" all connected by 19 SWG 5/32" rings in varying amounts (because I keep trying to tweak it to constantly flow).

It was made based off of the Helm's Chain (before I knew how to make anything), and also resembles the Back to Work weave that is listed here on the site.

I hope that this helps and thank all of you so far for your help and interest and further help you may provide.

Posted on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:47 am

i like that one, very organic Smile it is Back To Work IMO. the addition of the side rings though aesthetically pleasing is a fairly minor adaptation. i am assuming Back to Work has a ring at the back which yours does not But i would choose a name that reflected the glaring similarities.

other relate weave would be Armadillo Skin

Posted on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:20 pm

djgm wrote:
i like that one, very organic Smile it is Back To Work IMO. the addition of the side rings though aesthetically pleasing is a fairly minor adaptation. i am assuming Back to Work has a ring at the back which yours does not But i would choose a name that reflected the glaring similarities.

other relate weave would be Armadillo Skin

I haven't done either, but I do see what you mean. I may just consider it a modified version of either and leave it alone since there isn't much to set it apart as its own weave.

Submissions: 96

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:51 pm

It looks like what you've made is a loose version of Open Road with the middle two rows of small vertical rings doubled. It has some slight Helm relation, but is more closely related to the Gridlock based weaves. If there is another row of horizontal rings like top-row horizontal rings on the other side of the weave (like in helm) then Back to Work is another close relation. However, judging by how the second row of horizontal rings are slipping and overlapping, I'd say there isn't another horizontal row after it; if there were, it would lock them in place.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Amazon Author Page

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:46 pm

I think the idea is to construct Open Road with a more pronunced overlap that is locked though that may not be possible.

Posted on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:01 am

djgm wrote:
I think the idea is to construct Open Road with a more pronunced overlap that is locked though that may not be possible.

I tried adding another row and in those sizes it wasn't possible. So, you are right.

Posted on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:05 am

Nárrína wrote:
It looks like what you've made is a loose version of Open Road with the middle two rows of small vertical rings doubled. It has some slight Helm relation, but is more closely related to the Gridlock based weaves. If there is another row of horizontal rings like top-row horizontal rings on the other side of the weave (like in helm) then Back to Work is another close relation. However, judging by how the second row of horizontal rings are slipping and overlapping, I'd say there isn't another horizontal row after it; if there were, it would lock them in place.

The row of 18 SWG 1/4" is not sandwiched, there is only the single row on top (well what I use as the top) of 16 SWG 1/4" rings

Posted on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:41 pm

So, we have found 5 weaves that appear similar to, or could be related to, the one I showed.

- Back to Work (has been said that it could be accepted as this weave just modified.)
- Helm's Chain
- Armadillo Skin
- Open Road and
- Gridlocked

It appears to be having a deja vu effect, and it appears to be very similar to other weaves while still being different.

If we can't figure out that it is a specific weave, I do not mind help finding a name.

So far, I have a few name ideas (I will update this list as I find more):

- Deja Vu
- Fraternal Twin
- Morph
- Chameleon

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next