pliers
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 100

pliers
Posted on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:49 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

every time i see someone explaining about a lengthy process for modifying pliers that don't work well for maille in their original state i want to explain why i use these. i keep buying these for some inexplicable reason since they never wear out and i seem to be the only person using them, they normally go for about 15$ a pair and you can get knockoff brands for as low as 5$ not my favorite but will do in a pinch. all i have ever modified on them is to dull their teeth with a file or grinding wheel sanding belt whatever. anyway hopefully this will catch on soon because i think i have 6 5inch and 6 4inch pairs (thats pairs of pairs) and the 4inch dont even fit my hands but how could i not they were so cheap Smile [img]
[/img]

Submissions: 30

Posted on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:18 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't use fancy specific tools. I use hand-me-down, off-the-shelf lineman's pliers for everything over 18 swg. Because of their age the teeth are already worn down and you know they made better stuff back then so I don't have to worry about breaking them.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:02 am

Not really the response I was expecting to get from my pliers thread but I think it's great when other mailler's share what tools they use, even better when they're cheap. In hindsight I shouldn't have posted the new price of the pliers I broke, because I bought mine at a discountshop for about half, they no longer carry them.

When I was a total newbie 3 years ago I had no clue what pliers to get or what rings I would be using them for and bought expensive pliers thinking I would be safe with Knipex. Good pliers but not meant to be used for the wire thickness I was using them with. Even though they broke I'd buy them again if they were cheaper.

The Knipex pliers I bought to modify all cost me less than $15.

Whether modifying a pair of pliers is a lengthy process is subjective but I don't mind spending an hour per pair given the amount of time I'll be using them. A short nose gives you good purchase and super strength, well worth it imo.

Posted on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanx for understanding my rantlyness JanP. I refrained from stacking less than relevant posts on your thread but apparently I had seen the magic number of plier posts I hand to stand up for my faithful visegrips.

Submissions: 32

Posted on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:34 pm

neat, I have some small sets of those that I use for getting stuck caps off from tubes of artist's paints, will have to try them for maille next time I get out the mailling stuff.

Submissions: 378

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:12 am

i use these too, but only when welding or when i need to really push a ring through. i don't use them all the time because i don't like the release on them.

Posted on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:51 pm

I don't use the release I just over tighten them to the point that they never clamp down

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1