Request for a How To for Full Maile gloves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Request for a How To for Full Maile gloves
Posted on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:12 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am new to chainmail, but I want to start by making full mail gloves with the European 6 in 1 weave. The problem I am having is that every resource I find either is using a 4 in 1 weave, or they are just attaching the weave to leather gloves. Can somebody please help me?

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:43 pm

Wanting to start out in Chainmail using a tricky-ish weave, to make an awkwardly difficult project is a recipe for never mailleing again..

That being said, follow the e4 tuts, and just use e6, really... Since NO e4 tut will show you link by link how to make the glove, it's just the concepts you're trying to understand.

As someone who started out with an e4 glove himself, a few pieces of advice:
1. If you're under about 25, don't bother... it won't fit your hand in a few years anyway. (I made mine when I was about 21... I couldn't put it on now if I wanted to...)
2. Be prepared to curse and swear, the contractions and expansions required in between the fingers, and at the tips are obnoxious.
3. E6 has a lot less give than E4, make sure you use an Extra-Large AR to compensate for this. Hands need a LOT of flexibility.

E6 isn't THAT different from E4 to warrant needing a different tut, as I said, it's the theory that is important.

Read the e4 Glove reference you've found, and then read up on tuts on MAIL about Expansions and Contractions in European Weaves... It's all the same theory.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:55 pm

The place i run into issues with the e4 to e6 conversion is sewing up the fingers and the finger tips. Both look funny. Any tips on the best way to do those?

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:28 pm

wire size and ring size might be pertinent information. i don"t really have much advice, but if you document your findings it may be useful to someone as an article. Uber

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:20 pm

I for one would like to understand better just what sort of mail glove you are making. Are you planning to do meat cutting at an industrial pace and are building an allover protective glove of mail links? Or for fighting with sharp rapiers?

Or are you building a gauntlet, armored on the distal aspect with mail and palmed with leather medially in order to actually be able to hang on to a sword's grip? Such were the mitts, or "mufflers," of 13th-century mail hauberks.

The two types and missions are fairly radical in their difference. The latter's a lot easier to construct.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1