M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed May 18, 2016 5:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

great entries everyone, made my day.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed May 18, 2016 11:30 pm

kerravonsen, that Gandalf chain changing colors after his death is absolutely brilliant, as is everything else. Great entry.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu May 19, 2016 2:19 am

Wow, this is gonna be a tough one to vote for! Get your entries in by the end of Friday!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu May 19, 2016 7:20 am

Slagr wrote:
kerravonsen, that Gandalf chain changing colors after his death is absolutely brilliant, as is everything else. Great entry.

Thank you!

The idea of using two colours for Gandalf was there from the start, but golly it was hard to figure out the colours to use for everyone, trying to get so many different colours that contrasted but still looked good together. Even Gandalf's colours were tricky, since I felt that Black Ice AA was too dark, and White AA wasn't white enough, and I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough contrast between the dull silver of the Stainless Steel and the bright silver of the plated steel, but it turned out okay, whew.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 pm || Last edited by GreyElk on Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

On Christmas Day the Green Knight rode into the court of Camelot. He proposed a challenge to the knights assembled there. “Let’s play a game. A chop for a chop. One of you will strike me with an axe, and in a year and a day I will return the blow.”

The knights were a bloodthirsty bunch of vicious killers who reveled in acts of senseless violence, but they were not stupid. They knew this verdant maniac must have a trick or two up his sleeve, so they declined his offer. All except Sir Gawain, who was the bravest (i.e. most vicious and bloodthirsty) of the lot. Or perhaps he was just an idiot. Either way, he delighted at the notion of murdering a defenseless man. He boldly stepped forward to face the Green Knight.

Sir Gawain took the Green Knight’s axe, and the Green Knight positioned himself to accept the blow.

Displaying his great bravery and chivalry along with the majesty of Camelot, Sir Gawain casually struck the unarmed man at his feet. The Green Knight’s head tumbled from his body.

Now this ought to be the end of our story. Fortunately for you, dear readers, it is not. Even vampires and zombies find it difficult to remain active after losing their heads, and for us mere mortals decapitation is definitely the finale. The Green Knight, however, was more resilient. As Sir Gawain stood triumphant over his supposedly slain opponent, the Green Knight proved himself to be a most remarkable man. Rather than remaining still, as is the wont of most headless bodies, the Green Knight rose to his feet and casually retrieved his head.

The Green Knight placed his head upon his neck, and with a smile on his face said, “My turn.”

The Green Knight told Sir Gawain to meet him at the Green Chapel the following year to accept his blow. He then left Camelot, and Sir Gawain set forth to try to find a way out of this dilemma. He had many adventures, dallied briefly with the Green Knight’s wife, and at the end of the year returned to the Green Knight to accept his blow.

If you want to know how this story ends you can read it in the Cotton Nero A.x manuscript, one of the earliest known pieces of English literature. It is a 14th century manuscript by an unknown author often referred to as the Pearl Poet. The manuscript contains four alliterative poems, Pearl, Patience, Cleanliness, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. You can try reading it in the original Middle English, but you’ll probably have more luck with a translation. I prefer the Armitage version, and there are many fans of Tolkien’s translation. Both are available at Amazon.com, and perhaps at your public library.

When it comes time to compile the images used to vote for the winner of this contest, please use the final image of the headless Green Knight standing before a shocked Sir Gawain. (It’s the only one that meets the contest’s file size requirements.) Would it be possible to include a link to the PhotoBucket album that tells the story, or would that violate the contest rules?

Maille details
All the maille is E4-1.

The Green Knight’s armor contains 20 gauge wire with 1/8” id rings. The hauberk is floral wire (painted mild steel). The inlay fleur-de-lis is enameled copper, and the trim at the sweep and cuffs is anodized aluminum. The coif is enameled copper. I mixed three different shades of green in an attempt to create a heathered look.

Sir Gawain’s hauberk is 18 gauge galvanized steel with 3/16” id rings. His helmet is 20 gauge galvanized steel with 1/8” id rings.

The image background is pages from the Cotton Nero A.x manuscript.

The Green Knight is a Fibre-Craft Male Classic Doll. Sir Gawain is a Mattel High School Musical doll.

Yes, I play with dolls. You got a problem with that?

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
-Ronald Reagan

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 pm

That is so cool. Uber

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Fri May 20, 2016 3:50 am

I'm pretty sure Green Knight is going to haunt my dreams.

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3