Making Rigid Structures
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 30

Making Rigid Structures
Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Let's say hypothetically I have a design that needs to hold a specific shape but it is not strictly rigid from ring connections alone, and that spot-welding or soldering isn't viable due to the number of points needed to hold it.

What sort of chemical treatments could be applied to help such a piece hold its shape? Electroplating could theoretically work if the current manages to propagate through the whole piece, and likewise a thick rust or tarnish could hold it together too. Or even just a dip into some epoxy.

Would any of these be strong enough to weather moderate handling, and would it be considered "kosher" chain mail sculpture if it is affixed like that?

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:34 am

epoxy is hard stuff, im not a rabbi but have fun with it, Coif LoL

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:50 pm

A wire armature may work.
Easy enough to wrap or hide, resin or silicon sprays maybe an option.
Though it may change the overall look of the piece if thick enough to add structural suport.
Konform I think was the product use at one job.
Enviro tex is a polyester resin that might be an option if you ok encasing the piece. Heat can be used to help being bubbles to the surface before it cures.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:00 pm

Armatures could be difficult to pull through a weave but they would hold quite well. Epoxy is good but this ALL depends on what parts of the sculpture are holding what kind of load.

All that weight is coming down on different parts of the sculpture in different amounts. It may save you a lot of time, seeing how much weight epoxy and armatures can take before they deform/break. That way, you can apply the correct solution to the correct part of the model depending on the forces it needs to resist.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1