M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Weave Study Objective
Create tutorials
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Find/create/link all variants associated
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Expand information on a specific weave (such as AR limits)
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

Submissions: 24

Reviving the "Weave Study" threads
Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:38 pm || Last edited by TrenchCoatGuy on Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:23 am; edited 8 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey all,

Just wanted to mention for people interested, I'm going to be starting up the weave theory threads again. Sakredchao used to run them for a different weave each month.

I'm going to try and keep up with a 1-weave a month study, but that may be too ambitious with all the other projects I've got going on.

The objective of this thread is to see what the community is interested in "learning more about".
My objective of this revival is to go more in depth to weaves. Take ones I'm familiar with and deconstruct it completely or take ones I'm not familiar with and add more information to them.

What is the community interested in?
Depending on the interests, I'll likely restrict the selection of weaves to subsets of the current database.

In the meantime, I think I'll be mining the forum archives to find all of chao's threads.

Edits:
List of relevant threads (Threads and weaves linked separately):
Sakredchao's Hosted Studies:
June 2011 Gridlock Byzantine
September 2011 I Chain
December 2011 Hour Glass Unit
May 2012 Devil's Stitch
Studies I hosted:
January 2016 Half Persian 3 Sheet 5 Crossover
February 2016 Oriental Scale
March 2016 Windmill
April 2016 Universal Triangle
May 2016 Interconnected 2 in 2 Orbital Unit Chain
June 2016 Helix
July 2016 Ficus
August 2016 Tao 4
September 2016 Wind

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:53 pm

I think both the second and third hold academic merit, of indepth analysis, and could lead to the first.

I'd like to see a construction of a universal shorthand description of all weaves, and theoretical discussion on progressions.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:43 pm

I voted for tutorials because those are immediately accessible to the most people. Theory/variations and AR limits are nice, but without being able to make a weave, I feel most new people will not care about those.

I agree with Karpeth though, thorough analysis of variations and AR limits could easily lead to tutorials.

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:18 pm

A note, just incase it wasn't clear...

I plan on doing all of them, just the primary focus would be on one.
How extensive would the tutorial be?
How in depth would the variations be?
How many ARs would I try (this will become very time-consuming for the multiple WD weaves)?

project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:59 pm

I don't believe in monolithic studies. I hope that this can be a collaboration.

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:02 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
A note, just incase it wasn't clear...

I plan on doing all of them, just the primary focus would be on one.

It was not clear to me, thanks for clarifiyng.

Karpeth wrote:

What is the point of this statement? If you want to contribute, do so. If you want to offer TCG your assistance, PM him. But simply complaining about someone's idea to do weave studies seems petty.

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Karpeth wrote:

You seem unfamiliar with chao's threads. This would be an all contribute style format.

project.addRing();

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:46 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Karpeth wrote:

You seem unfamiliar with chao's threads. This would be an all contribute style format.

Nah, it was more of a "don't do it all yourself! That's not the Idea." I remember those Threads and have thought of reviving them myself.

Reform: this is not "his Idea". This is the process of reviving an old process, and I was just Making a statement on what I thought sounded as "I'll do this myself", which was not the original Idea. Please don't insult someone based on out of context.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:09 am

i voted the focus be on creating tutorials, im constantly amazed at the communities appetite for tutorials.

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:57 am

Karpeth wrote:
Nah, it was more of a "don't do it all yourself! That's not the Idea." I remember those Threads and have thought of reviving them myself.

Reform: this is not "his Idea". This is the process of reviving an old process, and I was just Making a statement on what I thought sounded as "I'll do this myself", which was not the original Idea. Please don't insult someone based on out of context.

I'm not insulting you. There is just 100 different ways you could have worded your statement and not sounded so negative and judge-y.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:23 am

i love the idea tcg! although... i think each weave will take more than a month to analyze. (i didn't use any capital letters, in honor of chao... although it huuuuuuurts!! Very Happy)

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:58 pm

I like this idea.

While I think tutorials have merit, I think that merit is something other than these threads. If you want to make a tutorial each month, there's ample fodder for such activity, but I question how useful it'd be in a forum format. Not a bad idea, just one I don't think is suited for a discussion forum so much as...well, the "Tutorials" section of the Articles.

I love the idea of discussing variants for each weave. Not so much a tutorial, as much as "Here's how to take these concepts and apply them in new ways". Something a bit more advanced than a tutorial. Recently there was a discussion of Morish Rose that caught my eye--it wasn't a tutorial, so much as an exploration of different ways to make the weave. I still haven't made it (only played around with it while baking a turkey), but the fact that it WASN'T just a tutorial is what caught my eye.

Aspect ratio could be folded into that as well. How aspect ratio affects different weaves has come up recently, and can be an interesting though under-appreciated aspect of this artform.

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Dinwar wrote:

While I think tutorials have merit, I think that merit is something other than these threads. If you want to make a tutorial each month, there's ample fodder for such activity, but I question how useful it'd be in a forum format. Not a bad idea, just one I don't think is suited for a discussion forum so much as...well, the "Tutorials" section of the Articles.

The discussions would be forum based.
Depending on the involvement, the results could vary from a monthly tutorial submitted to become an article to a master article linking to each discussion thread with more in depth analysis.

I plan on looking into each of the items in the poll, just focus primarily on one more depending on the community's interest. So far the interest seems fairly spread - everyone wants a bit of everything and not a focus in one area (and even when forced to choose, everyone leans slightly to different sides).

project.addRing();

Submissions: 313

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:33 pm

That was a difficult choice, yes.

I guess different people will contribute in different ways.

There still might not be a lot of participation. There wasn't much when sakredchao was doing these things.

I'll likely contribute. But it will depend on what weaves are chosen. There are some that I have no interest in, whatsoever. Others, very much so.

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Submissions: 378

Posted on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:05 am

yes, i'm always happy to see a deeper discussion of chainmaille theory.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next