Okay, what's this?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 578

Okay, what's this?
Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:40 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

My intent was to assemble Triple Half Persian 3 in 1 (and I will yet). First, I made what I thought was going to be Double Half Persian 3 in 1, but I erred. I switched over half of one set of the appropriate rings to make DHP3-1, but left the other four.

The right four segments are DHP3-1, but what are the left four?

top:

bottom:

side a:

side b:

Rings are .062" (16SWG/1.6mm) 1/2" mandrel (.557" ID) stainless steel (AR of 9.0).

The answer might be right under my nose.
The Persian weaves still mystify me to this day, and probably always will.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:17 pm

See, the problem with the Persians, is that there are SO many ways to sheet them, due to the way the eyes work...

It what makes them beautiful, but it also makes them easy to "change" into something else, mid-weave...

I have no idea what it is, though it may be a different DHP3-1

Submissions: 18

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:32 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
See, the problem with the Persians, is that there are SO many ways to sheet them, due to the way the eyes work...

It what makes them beautiful, but it also makes them easy to "change" into something else, mid-weave...

I have no idea what it is, though it may be a different DHP3-1

My interpretation is that it is a slight permutation of just DHP3-1, (HP6-2?), so I'm with DL.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:14 pm

i like it. does it work in a lower AR? seems it would make a nice addition to the persian section.

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:34 pm

I haven't tried it in any other size. Maybe I'll try and build off it and work my way down in AR. I don't know that I'd be able to repeat it from scratch. Confused

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
I haven't tried it in any other size. Maybe I'll try and build off it and work my way down in AR. I don't know that I'd be able to repeat it from scratch. Confused

I could, I suppose. PM me or write in this topic if you would like My help.

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Karpeth wrote:

I could, I suppose. PM me or write in this topic if you would like My help.

I'll build off it sometime. But if you want to try it out, by all means. If it seems different enough for a weave submission one of us can submit that and one of us submit a sample to the gallery. Then there wouldn't be one more weave entry with no gallery subs. As for AR, I predict a little bit above that of DHP3-1. So maybe mid 6 - mid 7's?

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:55 pm

Also, only two gallery submissions for Double Half Persian 3 in 1? Surprised That surprises me. It's quite attractive and an easy derivation from HP3-1. Come on you guys! In its defense, there's no tutorial + weave AR is a little in the high range for casual maillers.

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:02 pm || Last edited by djgm on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

I tried AR 5.4 on an off chance I have some mid to low ar6s I will try to give it a shot tonight. update I dont think the mid low 6 works, i turned it into Syringa 6in1 by mistake when it got too tight on the second segment.

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Yeah 5.4 seems way low. If one of you guys produces it first and wants to submit it as a new weave go for it. I'm not sure if it's different enough. A more well-balanced AR version should give it a much nicer look than the loosey-goosey one I made. Smile

Posted on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:16 pm

I'll try 6.15 and 7.3.

We need a name for it, and I kringe at even dhp as a weave. (I call byz a Bolted design, so...)

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:25 am

Karpeth wrote:
I'll try 6.15 and 7.3.

We need a name for it, and I kringe at even dhp as a weave. (I call byz a Bolted design, so...)

I'm a wee bit confused. So you think the new thing above is a weave, but Double Half Persian 3 in 1 isn't? The layering effect is unique. you can't do that with other families of weaves.

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 am

Karpeth wrote:
I'll try 6.15 and 7.3.

I'm a wee bit confused. So you think the new thing above is a weave, but Double Half Persian 3 in 1 isn't? The layering effect is unique. you can't do that with other families of weaves.

Think this has more merit than DHP, but it only has merit if we accept DHP, and it's circular logic. Makes my own head hurt.

Posted on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:53 am

DHP is in the weave section at present and is clearly documented. it could be argued DHP is an FFP, makes me wonder if there are enough FFPs out there to warrant a tag.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:26 am

I wish I could get a good grasp on Persian weaves. They confuse the hell out of me.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next