Might be a crazy thought but.....
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 97

Might be a crazy thought but.....
Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Ok, so this might be a ridiculous idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

I know a lot of us agree that designs do not belong in the weaves library, yet I've noticed a lot of people aren't really happy about them being in the gallery either. So, my thought was this: why not just have a separate library for designs? It could be structured along the same lines as the weaves library for ease of use and better organization, yet they would be kept out of the weaves library, while also not getting lost in the gallery.

Again, just a thought.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 15

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:19 pm

+1!

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:31 pm

This has been suggested many times in the past and I really don't know why it hasn't happened

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:52 pm

My personal thought:

Having a "Design Library" encourages copying others designs... When something is within a user's gallery, I'm not about to go copying it...
Weaves are repeatable patterns, and thus free to copy/use.
Designs are NOT free to copy, and a library of them would very much (imho) blur this distinction, and lead to copyright issues...

My 2c

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:56 pm

Hmm. Ya that is true. As I said, just a thought. Personally, I'm fine with how things are, but I know others aren't and simply wondered if there was a way to find a in-between kind of solution.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 36

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:27 pm

I've been trying to write a post about this for awhile, and trying to phrase it in such a way that it would not instantly be nay-sayed...

But, seeing as it's been thrown out there, maybe we can talk about it and brainstorm the idea...

DL makes a decent point, except that, at least to my way of thinking, what would be in the "Designs Library" would be submissions that the submitter had already agreed to live with the guidelines of the weaves library in the act of submitting... In other words, it wouldn't be a free-for-all-library for users to pop things into -- that's what the gallery is for. It would be a place for items submitted to the weave library to go, should they not make it through the vetting process.

Seems to me a way to find balance between the folks bent on cleaning up the Weaves Library and those unsatisfied with their "baby" just getting lost in the gallery...

And I would be more for the idea of a "Variations/Modifications Library", or some name along those lines, rather than "Designs Library", as I think that might be more accurate(?)

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:32 pm

That's kind of what I had in mind as well, Vyking. That, and for anyone that already knows that what they've made is design and is alright with others duplicating it. If they aren't, then that piece should go the gallery.

Insistence is futile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:47 pm

madd_vyking wrote:
I've been trying to write a post about this for awhile, and trying to phrase it in such a way that it would not instantly be nay-sayed...

But, seeing as it's been thrown out there, maybe we can talk about it and brainstorm the idea...

DL makes a decent point, except that, at least to my way of thinking, what would be in the "Designs Library" would be submissions that the submitter had already agreed to live with the guidelines of the weaves library in the act of submitting... In other words, it wouldn't be a free-for-all-library for users to pop things into -- that's what the gallery is for. It would be a place for items submitted to the weave library to go, should they not make it through the vetting process.

Seems to me a way to find balance between the folks bent on cleaning up the Weaves Library and those unsatisfied with their "baby" just getting lost in the gallery...

And I would be more for the idea of a "Variations/Modifications Library", or some name along those lines, rather than "Designs Library", as I think that might be more accurate(?)

YES

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:56 pm

We already have a "Design Gallery". It's called The Gallery. Any weave submissions that have been moved to the gallery have the tag "Materials" on it. If you have one that doesn't have that tag on it, please let me or Music Man know, and we will fix it. I also started to write what DL already wrote, but he beat me to it.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 61

Posted on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 pm

For sure, a "Designs Library" sounds a lot nicer than a "Rejected Weaves Library"! Razz

While both Lorraine's and DL's objections have merit, I think that using this as a method of cleaning up the Weaves Library is more important. One of the objections I've seen in the past which has protested the removal of non-weaves from the weaves library is that it's "not fair" that something that was once a weave is no longer a weave. Which implies status or merit or something like that. So surely a Designs Library would make up for the "not fairness" of that?

And as for "blurring copyright", as has already been pointed out, this Designs Library would only be for things which had already been submitted as weaves, and thus, the submitters were intending their submission to be shared with the community.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:46 am

kerravonsen wrote:
For sure, a "Designs Library" sounds a lot nicer than a "Rejected Weaves Library"! Razz

While both Lorraine's and DL's objections have merit, I think that using this as a method of cleaning up the Weaves Library is more important. One of the objections I've seen in the past which has protested the removal of non-weaves from the weaves library is that it's "not fair" that something that was once a weave is no longer a weave. Which implies status or merit or something like that. So surely a Designs Library would make up for the "not fairness" of that?

And as for "blurring copyright", as has already been pointed out, this Designs Library would only be for things which had already been submitted as weaves, and thus, the submitters were intending their submission to be shared with the community.

I'm honestly not trying to poop on your idea, but it still doesn't solve the problem of the entire gallery already being a "Design Gallery". For instance "Romanov" has become a well known modification of Byzantine. Do we put all the pictures of Romanov in there? I took my endless pictures of Jens Pind Linkage progressions out of Weaves and into Gallery because I think that's where they belong. I also voluntarily moved Barrel Ring out of the Weaves Library and put it in the Gallery. I did that because the Weaves library was getting bloated with progressions and with simple modifications of Weaves (like making them into rings). If we make a "Design Gallery", then we would have two galleries of the same thing because the Gallery is composed entirely of designs.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:39 am

the only way around people being offended by the two tiered system is to make all pictures the same, picture submission and just that. creating a third tier doesn't really solve anything.

Posted on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Not sure a one-tier system would work either. Only thing that would really do is make it so nobody would be able to find anything. Of course, then at least we'd all be on the same page: none of us happy. Lol.

I think both views on this have merit. Personally, I don't have any issue with how we are currently doing this, as Lorraine said, the entire gallery is, essentially, a design gallery. I just thought the matter might be worth discussing to see if there was a way to meet in the middle

Insistence is futile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:53 pm

That's the thing... It's not sounding completely like a "Design Library" either... We should call it what it actually is... "Weaves that don't meet the current criteria, variations and modifications"...

It brings its own set of issues, not bad issues, but questions and concerns.

What do we do with weaves declined to the gallery? Or declines moving forward? Is this simply an "Archive" or will it have its own submission queue moving forward? What are the rules surrounding it? Etc.

Submissions: 388

Posted on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:58 pm

another vote for design library.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next