Weave Admin Position
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 20

Weave Admin Position
Posted on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:01 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Sadly, we need a new Weave Admin

Narrina has been MIA since September, and there are (at current count) 26 weaves in the queue.

I will be getting in touch with Dave Austin, and Lorenzo... Two people who have acted in a similar capacity in the past, in an attempt to assist the current group of Admins with clearing the queue out.

That being said, nominations are needed for Weave Admin.

Just to be clear, this is not:
A popularity contest -- I don't want to hear WHO YOU want to be weave Admin... I want to hear from YOU if YOU want to be Weave Admin
A vote thread -- Nominations will be discussed amongst the BOD in the Admin Forum
An invitation to argue -- Let's keep it civil, please.

Thank You.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:52 pm

I'd love to help out but I think I'm a bit too green when it comes to weave theory. If you need someone to test weaves and document them, that I can probably do but when it comes to approving a weave based on family, structure, pattern, etc... I'm not confident I could make the proper choices. /approves everything /shrugs, "That was Easy!".

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:16 pm

DL: I'd like 2 clarifications that would likely be valuable to anyone considering this position...

Do you have some analytics of how frequently a potential weave is submitted? (to try and judge volunteer workload)
Is there a way to export information from the existing database to make a local copy that is more easily searchable?

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:58 am

I will throw my hat in for Weaves Admin. Full disclosure: I would seek and accept help and advice from others that I trust; I don't know everything; I will most likely not change anything that has been implemented as a concrete change for the better; I will not be swayed by who submitted the weave, in other words, the weave is the thing, not the submitter; I will not be bullied into making a decision; I believe that there are very few actual "new" weaves; most of the weave submissions I see in the queue are actually "designs" which should be documented in the gallery or articles, but not in weaves.

Ask me anything you want. I can't promise that I will be right. I can promise that I care about MAIL continuing to be a reliable resource for maille-related discussions.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:18 pm

I'll throw My hat in.

I want to do everything I can to help mail grow. While I have submitted several weaves that could be designated designs, pushing the limit is knowledge them.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer. Fluent in c++.

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:59 pm

I'd like to hear from the one I feel most probable to be appointed; Lorraine.

What is your stance on problematic tags and weaves already in the weaves library?

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:26 am

I volunteer. I intend to operate in much the same way lorraine has outlined, the difference being that I will not have the additional workload of managing the gallery as well.

Submissions under my administration will be held more strictly to the official weave definition than they have been in the past, and with lorraine's cooperation existing weaves failing to meet that criteria will be moved to the gallery.

Weave Definition wrote:
A unique and indefinitely repeatable pattern of rings, characterized by the connections between rings, and containing only rings that serve to maintain the physical structure thereof or to connect an instance of the pattern to an adjacent instance.

I have direct experience with a relatively large number of weaves and I can easily recognize weave families and structures at a glance. I am also capable of replicating most weaves from a single image and I am able to recognize multiple pathways for making newer weaves starting from various existing weaves, allowing me to easily search the existing database for potential duplicates as well as construct the potential submission in order to more carefully examine it. If I am ever uncertain about a new submission I will not hesitate to contact senior staff or other knowledgeable artisans. I believe these qualities will enable me to moderate the weaves library accurately and efficiently.

I would also be willing to provide normalized images of new weaves (using the same wire gauge and material) in addition to the original submission.

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:32 am

Slagr: what is your Stance om My growing list of "needed fixes" like the depreceation of most NSR weaves?

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:13 am

Karpeth wrote:
Slagr: what is your Stance om My growing list of "needed fixes" like the depreceation of most NSR weaves?

I do not believe NSR weaves are true weaves according to this community's definition, however they will be accepted so long as their structure is unaffected by the shape of the ring. Specifically, split rings and riveted rings act identically to standard rings and would therefore be accepted to the general weave library. There should be a library entry for elements like figure-8's and similar so long as they are kept separate from the standard ring library. My solution would be to implement a search tag, similar to the existing "single ring size ONLY" tag that would allow users to exclude these from their search.

Frankly, the current search options only include the ability to limit results by what you DO want rather than what you DON'T want. I believe this needs to be changed as well.

Posted on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:48 am

Karpeth wrote:
I'd like to hear from the one I feel most probable to be appointed; Lorraine.

I'm not the most probable to be appointed. I have a fairly long history here on MAIL, but the loudest voice is not always the best voice. There are lots of holes in my understanding of weaves. I have also been made very aware of my lack of diplomacy skills.

If I am on the roster of potential Weave Admins, then great. If I do not win that vote, I will certainly learn to live with it. I am perfectly happy being the Gallery Admin. Pictures mean a lot to me and I won't shed a tear over missing out on more work. If I were to be voted into the position, I would do my best, which is the only thing you can ask of anyone. If I am not put on the roster, I will find a way to live with that too.

Karpeth wrote:
What is your stance on problematic tags and weaves already in the weaves library?

I still don't understand what makes a weave Mage. Captive, Orbital, and Spiral make much more sense as Families, to me. Until someone can explain exactly what "Mage" means as a family, I would not tag any future weaves with it.

If we are going to have Helm and Rhino as Special or Structure, then we might as well have Byzantine and Celtic too. I don't think any of those (Helm, Rhino, Byzantine or Celtic) belong on the Weaves tag page. I think having them tagged in the description of the weave is better.

I'm not okay with wiping out whole sections of weaves just because someone new is in the Weaves Admin position. People who served as prior admins should not have their work (I mean their work and decisions as weave admin, not their actual submissions to MAIL) dismissed simply because they are no longer here to explain there decisions. The membership is used to finding things a certain way. There is something to be said for posterity.

Obvious mistakes should be taken care of. The first thing that comes to mind is Annika Links. Those are not rings and that is not a weave. That is wire work. I love wire work. I do wire work. But this is a chainmaille site, not a wirework site.

The one thing I DO NOT want to see is the Weaves section gutted or wiped clean, and then reinvented. It's not perfect. It never will be. But I see no sense in getting rid of it and reinventing the wheel.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:35 am

mage is open hanging euro segments that are bolted is it not ¿ does byzantine not get a mage tag Smile

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:31 am

djgm wrote:
mage is open hanging euro segments that are bolted is it not ¿ does byzantine not get a mage tag Smile

Sorry djgm... but I still don't get it. Sad

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 pm

After taking time to consider the possible time requirements...

I would like to be considered for this position.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Posted on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:59 pm || Last edited by Cinnibar on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

((COMMENT ELIMINATED. CONTAINED EXCESSIVE USE OF CAPS))

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:07 pm || Last edited by MusicMan on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sorry, post deleted because of improper posting due to request.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 6. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next